Where are the trout biting? (St. Marks)

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fsujoseph

Where are the trout biting? (St. Marks)

Post by fsujoseph »

Seems like it's starting to slow down, but I'm taking out my friend who is a big freshwater guy, he never really gets to saltwater fish so I want to hook him up on some fatties.

What depth of water are they biting in, and should I be trying near the lighthouse or way east to black rock, cobb rock, etc.

Any other tips are welcome.
fishfalcon

Re: Where are the trout biting? (St. Marks)

Post by fishfalcon »

I fished Saturday morning before the wind came up. Found most of my fish in 3-5 feet of water. Caught ladies, sailcats, and sharks in addition to a lot of 12-14 inch trout. Managed 2 keepers. Saw some Spanish, but no hookups. Threw twitch baits and gulp. No real color preference. Saw a tarpon, a manatee, and a bunch of sea turtles. Did not fish as far east as the Rock Garden.
fsujoseph

Post by fsujoseph »

Nice that sounds like a pretty fun day despite only two keepers. That's why I love the ocean, never know what you'll see or catch
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

I fished Sunday with about the same results as fishfalcon. Only difference was I came home with three keepers.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
Ted in Tallahassee

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

Since late March I've been fishing a lot on the flats out of St. Mark's, East of the lighthouse, and the trout bite has been great in my opinion. Cajun Thunder, 22 inch 30# fluoro leader, 1/16 oz. yellow head jig with a 3 inch white Gulp shrimp. 3 to 5 feet of water has been good, even as shallow as 2 feet still getting keepers. Usually been going late in the afternoon all the way to past sunset, usually outgoing tide. I monitor the weather to see when inland waters are supposed to be a light chop or smooth, and go right after work. Have got a couple of Macks, in late March a few bluefish, and lately a lot of small BSB's which is a little unusual on the CJ jig combo. Darn near something hitting on nearly every cast. Lately pinfish have been terrible, relentlessly picking at the Gulps.
Ted in Tallahassee

I should add that if you're not getting at least small trout on at least one out of every 5 casts, move a little, and try it. Last time I went (this past Monday) I was getting big keepers in 2-3 feet not far at all east of the lighthouse, hardly any shorts.
Ted in Tallahassee

Went again late afternoon to sunset Thursday, tide as low as I've ever seen it. I swear it was 2-3 feet at the stake line! Trout bite was slower than I've seen it since late May. Getting hot I guess. Only managed two keepers. Several ladyfish & a few short BSB's too. Fairly windy. Nice to be out, all the same.
Rbmcrae

Post by Rbmcrae »

We went out last week and I post report. No bites anywhere less than 6 feet in depth. Really 6.5 was best results. Fish near bottom just over the turtle grass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk