Bear Hunts Postponed for 2016

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Capt Ron

Re: Bear Hunts Postponed for 2016

Post by Capt Ron »

Based on the number of young bears I see, the males start chasing them off the sows in Sept/Oct (these are 18 month old cubs). The sows get bred in fall/early winter and go into "hibernation" in Jan/Feb to give birth. I don't know when the cubs are totally weaned.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

galantnole wrote:Anecdotally - Have you ever had a black-bear burger? A bit gamy, but delicious when done right.

:lick: :lick: :lick:

I killed a medium size boar bear many moons ago from a tree stand in the former Suwanochee wma with an old smoke pole for a weapon. His glands pretty much tainted his meat. The guy hunting with had dogs he used to catch nuance bears with and he wanted the meat, so I let him have it all but one ham. I soaked it for 2 days and then cooked it on the grill. Tasty was not one of the words I would use to describe it. Not wanting to be wasteful, I made some real strong brown gravy and we plowed through it. I guess I didn't know how to cook it right. Might have been better if I had made hamburger out of him. He was so infested with ticks and such that his hide was worthless. If I ever hunt one again, I am going to go hunt one in the winter up in the mountains when their fur is prime.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Season dates and harvest numbers should be based on science. Closing the season was not. Opening it was. But they had a poor plan. I look for it to open again, with better control. There are plenty of bears to allow a properly managed season.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?