Frontier vs. Robalo Cayman 206

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

hardhead

Post by hardhead »

Alright, I know this question gets asked ALOT! But I value yalls expert opinions. So I'm trying to decide on my first bay boat. Whats yall thoughts; Frontier 2104 or Robalo Cayman 206. I know the Kenner name attached to the frontier almost says it all, but when comparing the fit, frills, finish of the Robalo its a much "prettier" boat. But I'm hung up on the longer frontier giving a better ride and being more stable on the water. does 21ft4in over 20ft6in really make that big a difference?
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Re: Frontier vs. Robalo Cayman 206

Post by Flint River Pirate »

The Robalo is a very nice boat! I looked at a Cayman 206 this spring and I was very impressed. They are proud of them though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Team Jolly Mon
DAWG FAN

Post by DAWG FAN »

For the money I would go Robalo. Like you said it is a prettier boat and the fit & finish on the Robalo is much better than the Frontier, IMO. The Robalo weighs around 300# more so draft will be a inch or two more.
I have looked at both, as I am boat shopping also, and prefer the Robalo.
2012 Sea Fox 200XT-SOLD
2003 16' Sundance Skiff
2013 40 HP Mercury Bigfoot
2017 Sea Fox XTS Viper
2017 150hp Yamaha SHO
salty tiger
Advertising Sponsor

Post by salty tiger »

Here's a long thread on The Hull Truth about the Cayman.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... hread.html

I have the Cayman 226 and have been very pleased with everything about the boat, except maybe draft. As Dawg Fan it's a heavy boat for it's size, but that weight transfers over to a better ride. It's not cheap, but you get a lot of boat for the money. Go to Mike's and have them take you out in one. I think you will be happy with how the boat performs.
hardhead

Post by hardhead »

Thanks for the replies. I have read everything possible about both these boats. Only thing now is that it seems like they are identical in price! The robalo has the upfront pricing right on their web page so no question there. However I sat down with a guy at big bend marine on fri and priced out a frontier. With the yammy 150, Bimini top, 70lb ipilot, very modest sound system, midrange price garmin, upgraded leaning post with the removable back rest, trim tabs and swim platform, it's was literally within $500 of the robalo price with basically the same features(minus the trim tabs on robalo). Does that seem right to y'all? Frontier seems kinda secretive on there pricing so it's hard to find what is a "fair" price!
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

I'd price the robalo at Mikes marine to i believe they carry them and tell them the price you got on the Frontier. Mike Jr will give u a great price too.
hardhead

Post by hardhead »

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. So mikes is on 98 just outside panacea, correct?

Anybody got any experience on the frontier 2104 at all? All I keep reading is thst it's a super dry ride. And momma don't like getting sea spray on her.

Maybe I'm putting too much thought in it, but everything I read says the longer the boat the better. Finances won't allow a 22 fter and Maybe the 8in differance between the frontier and robalo won't make a difference in the ride.

Seems like there are ALOT of happy robalo owners out there.
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Yeah Mikes is on 98 in panacea 984-5637
DAWG FAN

Post by DAWG FAN »

I don't think the 8" will be a noticeable difference in ride or spray. The tabs will help keep the bow up and any potential spray thrown to the rear of the boat behind the driver.
2012 Sea Fox 200XT-SOLD
2003 16' Sundance Skiff
2013 40 HP Mercury Bigfoot
2017 Sea Fox XTS Viper
2017 150hp Yamaha SHO
hardhead

Post by hardhead »

I really appreciate y'all taking the time and throwing in your opinion.

I know robalo claims with their hull design you really don't need trim tabs; but it sounds like y'all reccommend them. Does it make a big differance. I've never been on a boat that has them.
hardhead

Post by hardhead »

Hey dawg fan. Just noticed your signature profile. You live in Dawson. I'm in Albany.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Hardhead are you looking at Huggins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Team Jolly Mon
hardhead

Post by hardhead »

Alright! another Albanian.

FR Pirate, I have looked at Huggins. I've crawled all over the cayman206. I like the way it sets up. Just trying to make the best purchase. This is a big investment for me and just trying to be wise about it.

I assume being around lake blackshear and the flint you fish there a good bit too. Do you use the same boat for fresh and salt.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

D
Last edited by Flint River Pirate on July 31st, 2016, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team Jolly Mon
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

hardhead wrote:I really appreciate y'all taking the time and throwing in your opinion.

I know robalo claims with their hull design you really don't need trim tabs; but it sounds like y'all reccommend them. Does it make a big differance. I've never been on a boat that has them.
EVERY boat can benefit from having trim tabs. Invaluable for adjusting to sea state, load and improve planing attitude. I wouldn't own a boat without tabs and I test boats for a living.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat