STAR Tournament Update

This is where you can Promote, Talk about or Plan Tournaments.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

STAR Tournament Update

Post by silverking »

This just in from STAR Tournament Director Leiza Fitzgerald:

With just over 30 fishing days left of STAR we have had fifteen CCA STAR-tagged redfish caught with only one prize, the GMC Sierra pick-up truck being taken off the prize list. There is still a share of $500,000 up for grabs. The latest tagged red was caught this past Sunday, July 31st near Alligator Point in the Panhandle! Troy Tully, a CCA member and STAR registered angler as of Sunday morning, caught and landed STAR-tagged redfish FL 933 around 1:45 EST. Troy believed the fish was just under 18 inches and clipped the tag before releasing the fish and calling the tournament number.

During his call with tournament staff, Troy learned that in order for his catch to be eligible, he MUST submit a photograph of the tagged redfish on the 2016 official measuring device. Unfortunately, Troy did not acquire a measuring device before he went on the water and had already released the fish, making it ineligible. The humble angler said, "I guess my t's weren't crossed and my i's weren't dotted. The CCA cannot award a prize if the rules aren't followed to the T. Next time I will read the rules..."

PLEASE make sure you are aware of all STAR rules and regulations, where you can find your nearest distribution location with official measuring devices and all the other divisions and prizes that are available. All this information can be found on the STAR website at www.ccaflstar.com. There are still four boat motor and trailer packages available. Plus many other great prizes to be awarded in the 13 other divisions. The Contender Boats Inc. 22' Sport powered by Yamaha Outboards is still up for grabs so keep on fishing!

Note: Academy Sports and Outdoors and Cape Harbor Outfitters are the two local sites for measuring devices.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: STAR Tournament Update

Post by Salty Gator »

I heard about that yesterday. Heartbreaker. I guess if he kept the fish and it was under 18", it would also have been dq'd. Kinda sucks they are tagging such small fish.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

He missed 2 steps. He did not pick up one of the required official 2016 Star measuring ruler/strips. That is required for all entries in any category. Then he didn't take a picture of the fish on the ruler. The undersized fish should not have been a problem for him if he had familiarized himself with the basic tournament rules.

But I feel bad for him too. :smt009
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Pretty sure that all tagged fish were within the slot size so this wouldn't be an issue. Commend his sense of conservation for releasing the fish, but he admittedly missed out by not reading the rules. Still a shame one of the locals couldn't have won that boat. Oh well, there's still more out there for the rest of us.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Today, I logged my 26th CCA STAR sheepshead in 28 straight days of fishing. I can only fish between morning & evening cross-country team practices, which means fishing in the heat/storms every day.

My wife thinks I'm an idiot, but she has learned to like fried sheepshead.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

You are a machine. I've seen a couple of your pet lizards swimming out on the flats recently. They must have decided you didn't have enough meat on your bones so they're going after scallopers instead. :lol:

For the sheepies, I'll beat Mister Mullet to the punch:

Cube the filets and lightly boil them. Serve with drawn butter (if that's on a runner's diet). MM swears it tastes just like lobster.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

What do you clean those things with Gary.....a chainsaw. lol They have tough scales.
― John Dutton
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Dave/Rocky:
For a twist this evening, I cut them into small chunks and broiled them in a caesar salad dressing marinade and oregano topping, drizzling melted butter after 20 minutes of broil. Unbeatable taste. They aren't any harder to clean than redfish. Still continue to be impressed by sheepie fight on light tackle. Not as bullish as reds, but pretty close, especially when they get past 4 pounds.

If I luck into a tagged redfish, I will take 47 pictures, call the STAR staff 10 times, and handcarry that cha-ching fish wherever they tell me to show up!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

silverking wrote:Pretty sure that all tagged fish were within the slot size so this wouldn't be an issue. Commend his sense of conservation for releasing the fish, but he admittedly missed out by not reading the rules. Still a shame one of the locals couldn't have won that boat. Oh well, there's still more out there for the rest of us.
I saw a pic of the fish. If it was 18" it was barely 18". It looked closer to 16" to me. If it wasn't so close the angler would probably have a boat. I didn't see anything in th rules about picking up the ruler before you caught the fish. However if your in possession of an underslot red, then you break the law and are dq'd.
I caught one last year, 5-6 months after the end of the tourney and that fish was about 19". They are cutting it pretty close.
I'm w you Gary, 47 pics, 10 phone calls and a truck ride.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Salty Gator wrote: I didn't see anything in the rules about picking up the ruler before you caught the fish
Rule #12 All entries must be electronically submitted using the required tournament protocols, either by a direct upload using STAR’s official smart phone application or by using the tournament’s website, within 24 hours of each catch. Each entry must include a digital photograph of the fish on the official tournament measuring device, except for Lionfish. The entire fish must be clearly seen with its nose on the zero line, providing visibility of total length.

Rule #15 To be eligible, each STAR-tagged redfish, with the tag still attached to the fish, must be digitally photographed on the official 2016 tournament measurement device, and electronically submitted consistent with the provisions in Rule 12. Any STAR-tagged redfish caught in the tournament may be released, but only after cutting the STAR tag off of the fish as close to the fish’s body as possible. The tag must then be kept to be verified by the STAR Committee.

I'm with Gary too. If I catch a tagged Red tomorrow, I will take pics till my Iphone overheats, (on my official ruler) haul azz to the ramp hoping the boat doesn't sink, hug that fish like my Highschool girlfriend, and drive straight to the CCA office. :lol:
Last edited by rockyg on August 4th, 2016, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
― John Dutton
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

rockyg wrote:
Salty Gator wrote: I didn't see anything in the rules about picking up the ruler before you caught the fish
Rule #12 All entries must be electronically submitted using the required tournament protocols, either by a direct upload using STAR’s official smart phone application or by using the tournament’s website, within 24 hours of each catch. Each entry must include a digital photograph of the fish on the official tournament measuring device, except for Lionfish. The entire fish must be clearly seen with its nose on the zero line, providing visibility of total length.

Rule #15 To be eligible, each STAR-tagged redfish, with the tag still attached to the fish, must be digitally photographed on the official 2016 tournament measurement device, and electronically submitted consistent with the provisions in Rule 12. Any STAR-tagged redfish caught in the tournament may be released, but only after cutting the STAR tag off of the fish as close to the fish’s body as possible. The tag must then be kept to be verified by the STAR Committee.

I'm with Gary too. If I catch a tagged Red tomorrow, I will take pics till my Iphone overheats, (on my official ruler) haul azz to the ramp hoping the boat doesn't sink, hug that fish like my Highschool girlfriend, and drive straight to the CCA office. :lol:
Thanks for the bold print Rocky. Where does it say you can't go to academy w the fish in your livewell,get your ruler, and then take a pic, within 2 hours of catching it?
That's my point. If he didn't have the ruler, he could have kept the fish ( if it was over 18") and then picked up his ruler on the way to meet the cca rep. Doesn't matter, coulda woulda shoulda. One more unclaimed prize is better for us, but I feel bad for the angler.
Last edited by Salty Gator on August 4th, 2016, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Hard to believe they tagged underslot fish, would have never thought that. I asked last year what if you caught one that had grown overslot, everyone said that would never happen. Never say never.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Williamsdad wrote:Hard to believe they tagged underslot fish, would have never thought that. I asked last year what if you caught one that had grown overslot, everyone said that would never happen. Never say never.
The guy has big hands, but looks short to me. Really short. But I'm not used to catching them that small :wink:

Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Here's info i didn't know, straight from the Tournament Director, guess I hadn't read this year's rules either - . In response to your question. Last year, all of the fish were slot size as they were hatchery reared fish and only released on the west coast and as a requirement of the tournament the tagged redfish was to be kept for verification. In order to take STAR state wide we would have to tag wild fish on the east coast as there were no redfish hatcheries on the east coast and the west coast hatchery fish could not be released on the east coast due to genetics. We decided that in order not to have to harvest ANY fish for tournament purposes and because it may be difficult to get enough wild redfish to tag we would not require the STAR tagged redfish to be kept and therefore the STAR tagged redfish would not need to be slot size.

Yes, there are some of the tagged redfish that may not be slot size on both the west and east coast. The 2016 STAR tournament does not require the tagged redfish to be kept. STAR is a catch & photo tournament. The angler may keep a fish if it is legal and they wish to take it home for dinner but STAR does not require any fish to be harvested.

The fish from last year will continue to grow and will eventually no longer be in the slot as well.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

aside from short that red doesn't look very healthy...
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.