First Buck ever

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dombern34
Site Sponsor

First Buck ever

Post by dombern34 »

well last night I scored my first buck ever and I got it with my bow! this brute walked out at about 7:10 perfect broadside side at 30 yards.. clean pass through. he's not the biggest deer but I couldn't be more proud!
Attachments
2016 buck.jpg
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Re: First Buck ever

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Heck of a first buck. Especially with a bow. Congrats!
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

What you talking about that is a great deer. Don't let anyone tell you different. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

I would have loved to have taken that one.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

dombern34 wrote:he's not the biggest deer but I couldn't be more proud!
Dombern, got to ask... where were you raised? Iowa, Illinois, Saskatchewan?!!! :wink:

Unless you're 3' tall and weigh about 60 pounds, that's a DARN nice buck. If you lived a matter of miles further south, pretty sure with the length on those outer tines and mass on the main beams you'd have a Florida registry buck on your hands. Mega congrats on the bow harvest! :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

big bend gyrene wrote:If you lived a matter of miles further south, pretty sure with the length on those outer tines and mass on the main beams you'd have a Florida registry buck on your hands.
No doubt. I don't see anyway that deer isn't >100". Hard to tell from a pic, but guessing....

3" G1s
8" G2s
10"G3s
22" mains
4-5" of mass x 3
mid-teen spread

140" is a monster 8 anywhere in the country, and I'm thinking Dom's 120s. Great accomplishment.

Dom,

Do you have a history with him? Pics or prior sightings? How about a story.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

SHOWBOAT wrote:
big bend gyrene wrote:If you lived a matter of miles further south, pretty sure with the length on those outer tines and mass on the main beams you'd have a Florida registry buck on your hands.
No doubt. I don't see anyway that deer isn't >100". Hard to tell from a pic, but guessing....

3" G1s
8" G2s
10"G3s
22" mains
4-5" of mass x 3
mid-teen spread

140" is a monster 8 anywhere in the country, and I'm thinking Dom's 120s. Great accomplishment.

Dom,

Do you have a history with him? Pics or prior sightings? How about a story.
big bend gyrene wrote:
Dombern, got to ask... where were you raised? Iowa, Illinois, Saskatchewan?!!! :wink:

Unless you're 3' tall and weigh about 60 pounds, that's a DARN nice buck. If you lived a matter of miles further south, pretty sure with the length on those outer tines and mass on the main beams you'd have a Florida registry buck on your hands. Mega congrats on the bow harvest! :thumbup: :beer:
I'm not sure of the score yet but I will update this post once I find out! he was taken in Lee county here where I live on a private plantation. don't get me wrong, I'm extremely proud of him being my first ever buck and being taken with a bow. I just know what roams around out there but I couldn't pass up this opportunity!

Story:
really not much of a story, I wish I had something but all I can say is luck. I have a spot on that property that I normally hunt but it doesn't get active until the weather cools down. my best friends dad who manages this place asked me where I wanted him to drop me off at, I told him i'll try your stand. with hopes of just sticking a doe since they come in by the dozens I had plans of that night ending the way it did.

I climbed the tree a little before 6:00 pm. got settled in and started playing on the phone. 6:50 a couple of does walked out in a distance and started coming in. they got about 90 yards out and blew.... wasn't sure what happened. it's hard to describe the setup and scene I had but I had a haired up field behind me with peanuts, a small strip of hard woods and then some scattered pines which is where I had the climber at. he came in from the haired up field and into the hardwood strip. I could tell he had a rack but there's a ton of 4-6 pointers out there so I wasn't sure. I stood up and got my bow ready anyways. the wind stayed just right and I know from a land mark that when he stepped out he would be at 30 yards give or take a yard. I was ready.. heart wasn't beating like I thought it would be but once his head made the clearing and he looked away I knew then that this was a shooter. I drew back and he took just the right about of steps, never lifted his head while being broadside. I let the arrow fly and sent the rage home. made a perfect shot with a complete pass through. he ran a little over 100 yards with a solid blood trail. that night will be one i'll remember for the rest of my life. no trail cam pictures, no corn, no attractions at all. I guess from all the trouble I had with shields lol some good luck found me :lol: . the good Lord above sent him to me and I'm extremely grateful of this deer. :-D
CastTheFlats

Post by CastTheFlats »

big bend gyrene wrote:

They grow them big in Lee County, I have seen a few over 160" and higher up there. Super nice buck with a bow!
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

Dom, when you say haired up field...., do you mean harrowed up or a field full of hair?
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

redbelly7 wrote:Dom, when you say haired up field...., do you mean harrowed up or a field full of hair?
haired...plowed....Plough... however you want to say it.
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

Hehe, dang nice buck especially w a bow!
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

Great deer man :beer:
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

Very nice Buck !!! Congratulations :thumbup: