St. Marks Flats, April 11-13

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

duckbill
Site Sponsor

Post by duckbill »

Old salts from north Georgia planning a trip on the flats (St. Marks) during April 11-14. Any suggestions? Should we run east or west out of the mouth. Will the cobia be there? :lick:
duckbill
Site Sponsor

Post by duckbill »

Thanks Double D! On the reds, we have done best on a falling tide (preferably late p.m.) around the creek mouth bars. It seems those with a deeper dropoff are best. We've caught some 26-32" reds in these areas frequently. Good luck! :smile:
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

You've got the reds figured duckbill. That is my pattern as well. Double D is correct, east is better in the Spring. On the way out check the last 2 bouys in the river channel for cobes. Then run east to the number 2 stake and throw out a chum bag. Float some live pinfish in the chum and hang on. Should be cobes, blues and macks and you may catch a grouper or 2.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

duckbill
Site Sponsor

Post by duckbill »

Thanks Tom for the info! I really appreciate what you've done with this site. Great reports and good dialog. :smile:
cajun thunder

Post by cajun thunder »

Hey guys first time in here. there is some really good info in here. I just wanted to share some info with you. I've been doing what some people would call poor man fishing. I don't have a boat so I wade fish a lot. We have been doing really good with the reds and trout. Doing best on the tide change low or high tide. Fishing with cajun thunders and live bait. also cut pinfish work really will. On the 30th we caught 11 reds and 4 trout in the St. Teresa area. This was in waist deep water. water temp around 70.

goodluck this weekend!!!
Cajun Thunder

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cajun thunder on 2002-04-05 4:01 pm ]</font>
duckbill
Site Sponsor

Post by duckbill »

Cajun,

Thanks for the info. We have always done well using poppin' corks with live pinfish and "shiner tails" made from pinfish. Reds seems best just before tide ppeaks and as it's falling. I've caught some BIG gator trout in past near Lanarck Village which isn't far from St. Teresa. Wading St. Joseph's bay is also good; area in front of state park cabins especially good. :cool:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: duckbill on 2002-04-05 5:14 pm ]</font>