Sea Robin

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

wallisam

Sea Robin

Post by wallisam »

while fishing the oyster bars north of the lighthouse a couple weeks ago I caught a strange fish. released it. looked it up and it appears to be a Sea Robin. anyone catch these, and how rare are they? thank you
bbb

Re: Sea Robin

Post by bbb »

I always thought they were toadfish. They look alike.
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

The searobin is classified in the Family Triglidae. The toadfish is classified in the Family Batrachoididae.

The searobin has pronounced "wings" and 6 "legs". The toadfish has neither "wings" or "legs". Both the searobin and the toadfish can be found in Florida's Gulf waters.
bbb

Post by bbb »

Toadfish

Sea Robin

Not sure I've ever caught a Sea Robin.
luceror
Site Sponsor

Post by luceror »

Sea robins also HV some fairly pronounced spines on gill plates and back of Head. Can be quite orange in color(winglike fins and orangish color=sea robin..they have flaky white meat. Tasty
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

Caught one a couple weeks ago on an oyster bar. At first I thought it was what we call an "oyster toad", but after looking it up, we found it was a sea robin. This was the only one I've ever caught. They are pretty neat fish.
NOAA reports are the reason I have trust issues.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

WE HAVE ALWAYS CALLED THEM TOAD FISH, REALLY DON'T LIKE TO MESS WITH THEM, ALWAYS USED NEEDLE NOSE PLYERS WHEN I CAUGHT THEM.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Rangerpat
Site Sponsor

Post by Rangerpat »

Excellent flounder cut-bait, just fillet the meat off of the sides of the sea robin and use it while drifting or else slowly reeling bait along the bottom.