NFGFC 2017 Season open discussion

This is where you can Promote, Talk about or Plan Tournaments.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hollywood
Site Sponsor

NFGFC 2017 Season open discussion

Post by Hollywood »

Hey guys and gals,

The 2017 NFGFC season will soon be here and I would like to open up a discussion about what we can do to improve the club and tournaments. I have been talking with several of you and have had some great feedback on things that you may feel are not fair or something we may need to address. The NFGFC officers will be meeting sometime in January to talk about any changes to be made and to discuss the 2017 schedule, I will list a couple of topics below that I would like to get your feedback on. I know that sometimes people are afraid to speak up so if you do not want to post it up publicly please feel free to P.M. me also. I would also like to know if anyone is interested in being a member of the board we are still in need of a Vice President and a secretary.

Hot Topics

Bonus Points

Schedule

Ramp Specific Tournaments

Species of Fish
milto
Site Sponsor

Re: NFGFC 2017 Season open discussion

Post by milto »

First off, I finally get to give my opinion and not have to make a decision... lol

As far as the bonus points go, I am ok with 1-5 points. The less bonus points just put more emphasis on being more consistent for your monthly tournament results. More bonus points let some stay in the game by chasing other fish than the main pot. I'm also ok with giving bonus points for flounder and mystery fish, but no bonus for luck like spots.

An idea for ramp specific tournament is to maybe have a check in style and let them leave from there at safe light. Its a different approach but gives those a chance that can't launch at a specific ramp for whatever reason, but also puts them at a disadvantage by wasting time driving where they want to go (still within boundaries). That way we can all talk some smack before we get started.

Also to get more participants, to maybe keep Facebook posts to only club sponsors and events. Some of the stuff is cool on there but it drowns out the important club related items.

Maybe get a sponsor to have a monthly photo winner from that tournament picked by the sponsor.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

points-it is great to give $ for extra fish, and I believe that encourages participation. Points should be reserved for trout. Only your serious trout anglers are competing for AOTY, LAOTY and YAOTY. Don't allow a flounder, bluefish or even a redfish influence competitive results. A point or 2 for big trout is reasonable.

Species-same thing. Keep focus on trout and have side pots for $ as you see fit.

Ramp specific tournaments-anything that brings anglers to a central location is good. Similar to a cheap lunch at weigh-in, any means of creating time for fellowship and reflection among the angers is a positive.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

I agree with showboat for a change lol.I don't think we need all those bonus points for all the different species except for maybe your big trout or big red.the ecky ramp specific tournaments seemed to do good and the Jerry's open boundary weigh in one's too just my opinion from the past when I first joined.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I like the points for the species other than trout, and have been known to get on a flounder run catching one for several tournaments in a row. It has not allowed me to win Angler of the Year, but I think the more ways you have to hand out prizes to a variety of anglers, the more anglers you are going to get back attending the next tournament.

Points for Mystery Fish sometimes help the guys with the larger boats who can not get all the way to the shoreline because they can target Spanish, sea bass or whatever the chosen fish is for that month.

I also like the ramp - specific tournaments since they force us to fish new areas at times. I'd never fished out of Appalach. until this past year, but Taylor and I managed to come in second place. Since then, I've been back and launched at Battery Park a couple more times just fishing for fun.

- Steve Stinson
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Keaton in March has always been a signature club event and usually draws more boats than any other tournament.
In all our fishing areas, Keaton in March produces more trout than any other area for that time of year.
The Facebook post states Keaton will be dropped.
Why drop Keaton?
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Keaton in March has always been a signature club event and usually draws more boats than any other tournament.
In all our fishing areas, Keaton in March produces more trout than any other area for that time of year.
The Facebook post states Keaton will be dropped.
Why drop Keaton?
correct as usual...
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

I'm with them why drop one of your better tournaments out of keaton.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Where is this at now ?
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

GC - I am pretty sure these decisions won't be final until we have an officer's meeting to determine the 2017 tournament schedule and discuss the entire list of items that turns up here.

Thanks - Steve Stinson
Hollywood
Site Sponsor

Post by Hollywood »

The Facebook post states that it is a tentative schedule and we are waiting to discuss it in our meeting in January, I would like for you guys to have a voice in what we do with the club instead of a comity just making changes and rules that the group does not agree with.
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

Steve you're such a jokester nobody in their right mind would cancel the Keaton tournament you are joking right :o as far as the points for other fish I've bitched about it for years don't like it never will I think it's ridiculous someone can finish in 5th and can still get more points than the winner doesn't make sense if that's the case let's don't call this a trout tournament. So I guess if I had to vote and you have to have yall's extra-point don't give no more than one I could live with that. See all of you Son of'a Fishes in February if we're still having that one.
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

Is there a tentative schedule for the dates if so could someone post it? Thanks
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Hollywood wrote:The Facebook post states that it is a tentative schedule and we are waiting to discuss it in our meeting in January
First time I've been to the Facebook page in a while. Can we replace Milton's fake 29" trout with a real 29"+ from the past week. Should help recruit new members if we slide his mug down the page....

milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

SHOWBOAT wrote:
Hollywood wrote:The Facebook post states that it is a tentative schedule and we are waiting to discuss it in our meeting in January
First time I've been to the Facebook page in a while. Can we replace Milton's fake 29" trout with a real 29"+ from the past week. Should help recruit new members if we slide his mug down the page....
BWAHAHAHAHAH!!!! I agree with ya anyways, at least the ugly mug part. I'm way over due to upgrade that one anyways!!