Gps recommendations

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ttt

Gps recommendations

Post by Ttt »

I really want to purchase a gps with navionics for my boat. Only fish inshore any recommendations for a nice gps. I would like to spend no more then $700 dollars. Also a gps device that is user friendly. Thanks for any reply
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Re: Gps recommendations

Post by Blue spinner »

I have all ways use Garmin they are user friendly
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

West Marine is having a big sale with a lot of options within your budget.

http://www.westmarine.com/fishfinder-gps-combos

I've had Lowrance units on my previous flats boat that used Navionics cartography. Had several issues and finally switched over to Garmin. The replacement 741 touchscreen was nice. You can buy extra chips for Garmin, but the built-in charts work well for inshore waters. As far as operation, for me the Lowrance menu is like a PC, while the Garmin was more Mac-like. During some of my boats tests I found the early generations of Raymarine had some issues. They've stepped up their game lately, however, and are on par with the others. Humminbird has cool features as well. Simrad is the latest craze, but with a hefty price tag.

Lots of variables with electronics, including screen size, mounting, sonar technology (Down View, CHIRP, side scan), built-in vs. external antenna, transducer shape and mounting, etc. I'd recommend going to West Marine, Bass Pro or similar and play with the display units and ask a lot of questions to see which one best fits your particular needs.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

silverking wrote:West Marine is having a big sale with a lot of options within your budget.

http://www.westmarine.com/fishfinder-gps-combos

I've had Lowrance units on my previous flats boat that used Navionics cartography. Had several issues and finally switched over to Garmin. The replacement 741 touchscreen was nice. You can buy extra chips for Garmin, but the built-in charts work well for inshore waters. As far as operation, for me the Lowrance menu is like a PC, while the Garmin was more Mac-like. During some of my boats tests I found the early generations of Raymarine had some issues. They've stepped up their game lately, however, and are on par with the others. Humminbird has cool features as well. Simrad is the latest craze, but with a hefty price tag.

Lots of variables with electronics, including screen size, mounting, sonar technology (Down View, CHIRP, side scan), built-in vs. external antenna, transducer shape and mounting, etc. I'd recommend going to West Marine, Bass Pro or similar and play with the display units and ask a lot of questions to see which one best fits your particular needs.
I just sold a slightly used Garmin 547xs GPS Map Chartplotter to a forum member recently. It is an excellent 5" device and even though Garmin has discontinued them they are still available new on the internet (GPS store is a good source) for about $400. You can add the basic 80/200 MHz transom transducer for around $90 more and it comes preloaded with excellent coastal cartography.

An outstanding choice for a smaller boat and the price. If you desire a bigger screen the Garmin 741 touchscreen is the one I just bought and it is available for under $800.

Lots of choices.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I would add another consideration - flexibility of the data when switching from one unit to another. Humminbird is real bad about forcing you to use only their software, maps, etc. In fact, if I take a file out of my current Garmin gps and upload it into my older Humminbird that same file will not go back into the Garmin.

This was a problem when I was using a fixed mount Humminbird on my boat and a Garmin handheld in my kayak. I now have Garmins for both units.
bbb

Post by bbb »

I have the Hummingbird Helix 5 on my boat. Has 2-3 different gps screen settings and 2-3 sonar settings but honestly, I find myself using my Navionics App on my phone when I want the most detail.
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

The most optimal chartplotter/sonar reader that I've found for the money is the Garmin 74cv (Used to be called the 74dv, but an employee at Bass Pro told me that had to change names for some reason). I don't know how soon you want to get one, but they go on sale every year around tax time at Bass Pro. Very easy to use. Maps are responsive, screen is clear and the price is right. They also have a sidevu model for a hundred bucks or so, extra.
NOAA reports are the reason I have trust issues.
Ttt

Post by Ttt »

Thanks for all the reply. I was recommended at bass pro shop the lowrance hook 7 have anyone have any experience with this device?
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
Ttt

Post by Ttt »

flatsbroke22 wrote:I'll work with you on price.
http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... =7&t=40472
U can call me 850 4455048
Ttt

Post by Ttt »

There are so many device to choose from and I just don't want to make the mistake by buying things over and over again. I am new at boating and this forum has been very helpful. Thanks to all the members that have put your time out and educate me.
cleanlivin

Post by cleanlivin »

I have a brand new hummingbird helix 5 with transducer make offer
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I just installed the Garmin Stryker7. I got it from the GPS Store.com online at a very good price.

It is very user friendly. No chip card ability, but if you need navionics put it on your phone or an ipad. It has Chirp, DV, SV,
gps.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
EddieJoe

Gps recommendations

Post by EddieJoe »

Redbelly wrote:I just installed the Garmin Stryker7. I got it from the GPS Store.com online at a very good price.

It is very user friendly. No chip card ability, but if you need navionics put it on your phone or an ipad. It has Chirp, DV, SV,
gps.
Yes. It's important to note that the Striker series is MOL a multifunction fish finder with a minimal GPS capability. You don't have a full function chart plotter and you can't add it via chip. You get coordinates for your position and a track map, that's all.

Might be perfect for some folks, though, since the fish finder as sold, with a transducer, does all the tricks for a low price.

Just FWIW, the phone and iPad GPS chart plotter functions only work where there is cell service, and neither of those devices are happy with salt spray.

EJ
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

EddieJoe wrote:
Redbelly wrote:I just installed the Garmin Stryker7. I got it from the GPS Store.com online at a very good price.

gps.
Yes. It's important to note that the Striker series is MOL a multifunction fish finder with a minimal GPS capability. You don't have a full function chart plotter and you can't add it via chip. You get coordinates for your position and a track map, that's all.

Might be perfect for some folks, though, since the fish finder as sold, with a transducer, does all the tricks for a low price.

Just FWIW, the phone and iPad GPS chart plotter functions only work where there is cell service, and neither of those devices are happy with salt spray.

EJ
I have found cell service in all the inshore waters I fish locally. Put the Ipad in a clear plastic cover of some sort to protect it. :D
If I fished a traveling tournament trail, then I could see the need for a chartplotter and map chips.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc