Steinhatchee Christmas Day

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

LastCall1983

Steinhatchee Christmas Day

Post by LastCall1983 »

Thinking of riding down to Steinhatchee Christmas day to do some fishing. Was wondering if anyone has an idea of what the water temp will look like? high for surface is supposed to be 81*.. Just wondering if they are still on the flats or up in the river yet?

Thanks
2Salty

Re: Steinhatchee Christmas Day

Post by 2Salty »

Just 1 angler's opinion...so far we've not had a hard enough long enough cold snap to drive significant numbers up into the river then hold them there. And there's nothing in the short-term forecast that looks "cold". That's not to say nothing will be caught up river but I'd be inclined to fish the flats on higher tides and fish holes at creek mouths and into creeks on lower tides (depending on your vessel and your knowledge of the area). One recent report (Gary's Tackle Box Gainesville, FL 12/16) said the fishing in the Suwannee River area has been more productive than the fishing in the Steinhatchee River area.

Good luck stay safe tight lines!
LastCall1983

Post by LastCall1983 »

Yeah i was thinking it hadn't been cold enough also.. It's been in the 50's up here in south georgia, but 60's and 70's down there. Hmm interesting. I've never fished the Suwanee area.. i fished Amelia Island area on the 10th, with very little luck.. the cold snap and rain was a day or so behind what it was in the gulf and i think there wasn't enough time for it to recover. Up in the creeks and even around the jetties had no luck. Caught 1 lizard fish and snagged him in the side with a rat-l-trap. They just weren't biting. Talked to several folks at the ramp.. same report from them.

I'll report back when we finish up Sunday afternoon.
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

Cedar KEY , Suwanee are still doing good on the flats
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

12/23/2016 Fishbone Creek Dixie County FL water temp 58F - 63F (well up into the creek 1 mile+) in 2' to 4'+ of water
After 5 keeper Spotted Seatrout, caught/released 1 over-slot (22"-23"). But no redfish :(
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I fished steinhatchee yesterday and the fish were in the river, I didn't think it was cold enough to get them off the flats but we saw nothing but turtles on the flats. Did see a few small reds in the mouth of the river in a foot of water.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

2Salty wrote:12/23/2016 Fishbone Creek Dixie County FL water temp 58F - 63F (well up into the creek 1 mile+) in 2' to 4'+ of water
After 5 keeper Spotted Seatrout, caught/released 1 over-slot (22"-23"). But no redfish :(
There is an old cracker woman that lives on Fishbone Creek that would skin you for posting this! She don't like nobody fishing HER creek, including me and she counts me as a "friend".
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

MudDucker wrote:There is an old cracker woman that lives on Fishbone Creek that would skin you for posting this! She don't like nobody fishing HER creek, including me and she counts me as a "friend".
Hmm...pretty darned sure Fishbone Creek doesn't belong to anyone in particular.

Fishbone Creek is within the Lower Suwannee National Wildlife Refuge (available to the public). The LSNWR encompasses about 53,000 acres in Dixie and Levy Counties. This creek is accessible from the Gulf (at its mouth) and from a small primitive boat launch within the Refuge.

With a paid and valid resident fishing license from the State of Florida and harvesting of fish within the state's size and daily bag limit regulations that old cracker woman can kiss my grits. And if you don't like it, well...you too can kiss my grits.

P.S. I've owned land in Dixie County, FL for over 25 years and pay property taxes to Dixie County every year. Some of my best fishing and hunting friends are "old crackers" who are life-long residents (and their families for generations) of Dixie County.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

2Salty wrote:
MudDucker wrote:There is an old cracker woman that lives on Fishbone Creek that would skin you for posting this! She don't like nobody fishing HER creek, including me and she counts me as a "friend".
Hmm...pretty darned sure Fishbone Creek doesn't belong to anyone in particular.

Fishbone Creek is within the Lower Suwannee National Wildlife Refuge (available to the public). The LSNWR encompasses about 53,000 acres in Dixie and Levy Counties. This creek is accessible from the Gulf (at its mouth) and from a small primitive boat launch within the Refuge.

With a paid and valid resident fishing license from the State of Florida and harvesting of fish within the state's size and daily bag limit regulations that old cracker woman can kiss my grits. And if you don't like it, well...you too can kiss my grits.

P.S. I've owned land in Dixie County, FL for over 25 years and pay property taxes to Dixie County every year. Some of my best fishing and hunting friends are "old crackers" who are life-long residents (and their families for generations) of Dixie County.
:roll:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Were there any size to the Steinhatchee River fish that were caught?
Yours in the South