Question for the real fishermen on this site

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bbb

Question for the real fishermen on this site

Post by bbb »

Let's see who is the best at predicting the bite this weekend.

Current highs for Thursday and Friday are around 68 degrees. Saturday the high is 78. Sunday the high is 80.

Last week the water at the lighthouse was 63.5. Water where the St Marks and Wakulla join was 65.5.

Where are the trout going to be Saturday and Sunday?

Option 1- Grass Flats

Option 2- Mouth of Tidal Creeks

Option 3- Mouth of the river

Option 4- Up the rivers in their Winter holes

Option 5- You don't have a clue and only get to fish when your wife gives you permission which is once or twice a year.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Question for the real fishermen on this site

Post by DixieReb »

I'd say 1-3.
Yours in the South
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

You didn't give enough options for us "real" fishermen..

Not sure if intentional, but you changed the subject from "the bite this weekend" to "where are the trout going to be"?

Any "real" fishmerman who's fished much at all will appreciate that where they are is NOT a guarantee they'll be in a biting mood. Just an observation from this "real" fisherman who goes more than his wife wants him to go. :wink: :lol:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big bend gyrene

As for more of a "real" world answer, if I were fishing (won't be because doing land work until cobia arrive) specifically for trout this weekend I would run out and work my way back in looking for the bite... so in your order would try 1, then 3, then 2... 4 would be my last option.

Like I told some male college buddies I get together for a golf outing once a year who were fighting over which movie to watch one evening after dinner... told them, "We're grown arse men -- we can go nuts and watch two movies if we want to."

Launch out of one of the area rivers and you can easily check all 4 options in the day by following the order 1, 3, 2 then 4.

Only other thing I can think to add is I would want optimal tidal flow with 3 and 2 so that would influence my schedule planning. All that shared, if I found the trout on the flats I wouldn't leave them though I would probably fish bars around mouth areas for reds on the way back in.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

Marine Fcst. GMZ 730/GMZ 755

Sat 2/11 south wind 10-15 knots light/moderate chop
Sun 2/12 southwest wind 5-10 knots light chop/mostly smooth

High tide late afternoon (3-4 PM)

And oh yeah...Fri 2/10 full moon

I wouldn't expect for there to be much of a bite on Sat 2/11 - anywhere. With warming temps (and no significant preceding harder cold of any duration) I wouldn't expect for trout to be up river in deeper holes. Doubtful baitfish would yet be plentiful on the grass flats. With winds out of the south/southwest I'd fish grassy shorelines on rising tide Sun afternoon 2/12.
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

Negative tides this weekend will expose lots of good hard bottom close to deeper water. Bright sunshine will warm exposed bottom up. Try soft subtle baits in these places as tide covers them up. That's what I would try.
bbb

Post by bbb »

[quote="big bend gyrene"]

Not sure if intentional, but you changed the subject from "the bite this weekend" to "where are the trout going to be". [\quote]

Thought I would be species specific in case a cobia fisherman came along.
big bend gyrene

bbb wrote:
big bend gyrene wrote:
Not sure if intentional, but you changed the subject from "the bite this weekend" to "where are the trout going to be". [\quote]

Sorry I didn't pick up on the clue! LOL!!! :smt005
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Doubt there will be much of a bite where I am. With wind chill, the temp is -4 degrees. Streams still running through snow banks though! :-D
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

If most you told the truth #5 would enter into this for shur
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

bbb wrote:
big bend gyrene wrote:
Not sure if intentional, but you changed the subject from "the bite this weekend" to "where are the trout going to be".
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

Real fishermen ask JR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

bbb wrote:Let's see who is the best at predicting the bite this weekend.

Current highs for Thursday and Friday are around 68 degrees. Saturday the high is 78. Sunday the high is 80.

Last week the water at the lighthouse was 63.5. Water where the St Marks and Wakulla join was 65.5.

Where are the trout going to be Saturday and Sunday?

Option 1- Grass Flats

Option 2- Mouth of Tidal Creeks

Option 3- Mouth of the river

Option 4- Up the rivers in their Winter holes

Option 5- You don't have a clue and only get to fish when your wife gives you permission which is once or twice a year.
So, did you fish? If so, what did you find out?
bbb

Post by bbb »

Got an 11th hour invite to shoot quail and stay overnight at Cedar Farms in Bainbridge. They have a nice new lodge.

All the expert advice will have to be put to the test next weekend.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

bbb wrote:Got an 11th hour invite to shoot quail and stay overnight at Cedar Farms in Bainbridge. They have a nice new lodge.

All the expert advice will have to be put to the test next weekend.
Please remove your "Real Fisherman" Badge and replace it with "Real Shooter" Badge! :smt005 :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!