Gander Mountain Reportedly Prepping for Bankruptcy

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Gander Mountain Reportedly Prepping for Bankruptcy

Post by silverking »

The company is declining to comment, but the business world expects the announcement at any time.

As Bass Pro and Cabela's work to complete their industry-shaking merger, another popular outdoor retailer is on the rocks. Business journals are reporting that Gander Mountain is preparing to file for bankruptcy, with the company expected to start the process as early as this month.

Several news agencies have reportedly reached out to Gander Mountain, all receiving the same response: "No comment." Minneapolis's Star Tribune reached out Saturday and spoke to Gander Mountain spokesman Jess Myers, who it quoted as saying, "They've [Gander Mountain] taken a vow of silence."

Gander Mountain is privately owned and operates roughly 160 stores across 27 states, nearly 60 of which opened in the last five years as part of its plans for "aggressive expansion," according to Reuters. Since becoming privately owned in 2010, Gander has frequently promoted itself as "the nation's largest and fastest-growing retail network of specialty outdoor stores for hunting, fishing, camping, shooting, and outdoor lifestyle products and services."

No definitive reason has been given for the company's looming bankruptcy, but SGB Media points to the expansion efforts and a heavy debt load as the causes, along with the difficulties that all active-lifestyle retailers are facing.

- See more at: http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/gander ... uHY5G.dpuf
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: Gander Mountain Reportedly Prepping for Bankruptcy

Post by Juan »

I'm not surprised. I never could figure out why they built their store over here within a 1/2 mile of a Dick's Sporting Goods and Academy Sports. They do have some nice inventory and I'll miss that if they go under.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Years ago, Gander was the #2 go to after Herters in the catalog business. Then they sold their catalog business to basspro and I didn't hear from them for years. They built a store here and I can tell you, unless it is on sale, it is priced too high. I don't see many cars parked out front when I go by, so I am not surprised.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

That's a shame but the store in Albany is terrible. Every single time I need something, they don't have it in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Team Jolly Mon
roadtrip
Site Sponsor

Post by roadtrip »

Not surprising at all. nice store here in Valdosta but, I never see more then 4-5 cars in the parking lot.
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

For some reason or other I thought they are owned by Overton's. Not so?
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

Flint River Pirate wrote:That's a shame but the store in Albany is terrible. Every single time I need something, they don't have it in stock.

Bingo!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
bman

Post by bman »

That stinks... their zip off fishing pants/shorts are my favorites. Guess I need to buy a few more pairs fast.
Their customer service has also been good for me.

Bottom line is Fewer retailers means fewer choices for us
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

countrycorners wrote:For some reason or other I thought they are owned by Overton's. Not so?
I don't think so, but they may be owned by the same holding company now. I know that about 2 years ago, they started co-marketing.
bass3769

Post by bass3769 »

Flint River Pirate wrote:That's a shame but the store in Albany is terrible. Every single time I need something, they don't have it in stock.

i know their staff has been jumping ship past couple weeks. beginning of the end. In my opinion we need Academy here.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

bass3769 wrote:

i know their staff has been jumping ship past couple weeks. beginning of the end. In my opinion we need Academy here.
I agree, an Academy here in Albany would do well. hard to beat their prices and selection.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

dombern34 wrote:
bass3769 wrote:

I agree, an Academy here in Albany would do well. hard to beat their prices and selection.
I think Academy would do very well here! The rumor was that they were looking at it a few months back. This would be their opportunity.

Team Jolly Mon
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

yeah I heard that rumor as well. something about turning the target into an academy and building a super target down the road.. it would be nice for sure.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Team Jolly Mon
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Guess it was a good thing I picked up my wife's new pistol yesterday. Hard to turn down their 15% off even the on sale price. :o