St Mark's This Weekend

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

JWCAMILLA

St Mark's This Weekend

Post by JWCAMILLA »

Going to St Marks this weekend. First trip in several years. Anyone got any reports from there? I'll be putting in at the lighthouse and fishing the flats. Looking to catch some trout, flounder and reds. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
"KEEP ON KEEPING ON"
Hit-n-Miss

Re: St Mark's This Weekend

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Would think anywhere on the east flats from 3-6' should be good right now. Gulp or shrimp/pinfish about 2-3' under a rattle cork should do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Exercise patience and discretion. First day of grouper season will create a mad house at the ramps.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
JWCAMILLA

Post by JWCAMILLA »

Ok. Didn't realize it was opening day for grouper. Thanks for the heads up.
"KEEP ON KEEPING ON"
coach

Post by coach »

How has the trout fishing been? I am coming midweek next week during Spring Break. I would love to hear any fishing reports!
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

on fire. trout everywhere from creeks to 6'. Topwater and corks both work.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Showboat now St Marks will be on fire Saturday with trout fishermens :-D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
randymullaly

Post by randymullaly »

Fished East of the lighthouse yesterday and had a great day. Find 5'-6' of water with grassy bottom and you're there. Found that shrimp did better than gulp and also, not many pin fish yet. Not much success with the sabiki.
coach

Post by coach »

Thanks guys. I am coming whether they are biting or not so don't fret on giving away the spots!!! Anyone tried VuDu shrimp? I used them 2 years ago (last year I caught a bunch of shorts so I don't count that). I found the VuDu very effective and each one lasted WAY longer than a gulp and less expensive than live shrimp
Price3275

Post by Price3275 »

coach wrote:Thanks guys. I am coming whether they are biting or not so don't fret on giving away the spots!!! Anyone tried VuDu shrimp? I used them 2 years ago (last year I caught a bunch of shorts so I don't count that). I found the VuDu very effective and each one lasted WAY longer than a gulp and less expensive than live shrimp
I have used the vudu sometimes with better results than gulp... sometimes the other way around. They do last WAY longer from what I've seen. Stowaway marine on 98 at Spring Creek Hwy. sells them.
coach

Post by coach »

Price3275 wrote:
coach wrote:Thanks guys. I am coming whether they are biting or not so don't fret on giving away the spots!!! Anyone tried VuDu shrimp? I used them 2 years ago (last year I caught a bunch of shorts so I don't count that). I found the VuDu very effective and each one lasted WAY longer than a gulp and less expensive than live shrimp
I have used the vudu sometimes with better results than gulp... sometimes the other way around. They do last WAY longer from what I've seen. Stowaway marine on 98 at Spring Creek Hwy. sells them.
I guess you are right about them biting the bait sometimes and not others. I guess its the flavor of the day sometimes!!
geofish

Post by geofish »

Made it out today in my jon boat, fished the flats. 17" and 23" trout on my little ultralight with 6 lb test made it fun. Lots of short ones too. White gulp shrimp didn't do much, but white 2" swim bait did the trick. I think I even caught a trout on a crappie jig I was fooling with to catch pinfish.
Saw a school of mackeral near the bars at the lighthouse, but a commercial guy beat me to 'em with his net.
Crowded at the boat ramp coming back in (not so much at 6:30 am) but folks at the boat ramp showed manners and patience.
Beautiful day on the water!
JWCAMILLA

Post by JWCAMILLA »

We had a great day at St Marks also. Caught plenty of short trout and some of the biggest trout I've ever put in the boat. Had 1 at 24" and another right at 23". Rest of the keepers were between 17" and 20". Had a big flounder to boot. I had 3 trout to get off at the boat that dwarfed the 23" one. Just pulled off. I'm ready to go back and hit em' again.
"KEEP ON KEEPING ON"