St marks 4/4 I think I learned

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redrichie

St marks 4/4 I think I learned

Post by Redrichie »

Put in right at 8 and rode into a spot of rain. No one else about so tried a couple different gulps at the light house. Caught a few shorts in just a few minutes believing today would be on fire like sunday. Nope. Caught a few more shorts all over the flats from the lighthouse out past the rock garden.
Finally caught our only keeper around 12 and that must have hit him right on the head or something. We fished 1.5 ft out to 10 foot from top water to bouncing off the bottom. Some tiny bites but they weren't interested.
Since I had plenty of time to think I wondered what was I doing wrong. Forgot about the barometer, since every time I hit st marks I've either limited or nearly limited on trout.
Checked wunderground and sure enough the barometer couldn't get any lower. Still a better day than working but hard time fishing that's for sure. Lesson learned.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: St marks 4/4 I think I learned

Post by Salty Gator »

Interesting, I thought it was high pressure that slowed the bite. Could be pressure, fresh water or y'all weren't holding your mouth's right. My brother in law and father in law fished dog island reef yesterday and couldn't buy a bite. Trolled all over the reef, no Spanish, no blue fish, nothing. Thanks for the report :beer:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Redrichie

Post by Redrichie »

Heck, I'm just guessing. I'm learning from everyone else. Light reading and it seems that rising and falling barometers lead to biting action but steady low tend for fish to become picky or not interested. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Most people on here have forgotten more than I know that's for sure.
*Edit. Seems that steady higher pressure for reds and trout (due to larger air bladders) keep them eating, and right before and during the falling baro they will eat more to compensate for the lack of feeding in the coming days of new low pressure.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

My experience has pretty much that a falling barometer before a storm will increase fish activity while the high blue sky's after a cold front and accompanying high pressure sends them deep and off their feed. Less pronounced in a trout stream but very distinctive in a fresh water lake. Seems to hold true in the salt, at least for me. Then again maybe its just a confidence thing, but its happened so many times that I don't think so.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

A falling barometer will trigger a good bite on the way down--until it bottoms out. Then you'll encounter what redrichie did. My experience with high pressure mirrors eightwt. A day or two after a high pressure front, once the barometer holds steady--will turn 'em back on.

But the best time to go fishing is whenever you CAN go fishing! :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

silverking wrote:A falling barometer will trigger a good bite on the way down--until it bottoms out.
This.