Reel advice

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Wil
Dive Boards Moderator

Post by Wil »

I'm looking to buy a baitcaster with the "line out" bait click. Right now I'm leaning towards the Ambassadeur 6500 C3 or the C4. I've used Tom's C3 before, and liked it, but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the C4. Is it worth the extra $10?

Or, are there any other reels I ought to take a look at? I don't plan on using it much for casting, mainly for pitching pinfish out behind the boat (hence the need for the bait click).

Wil
max kirkland
Elite Senior Member

Post by max kirkland »

I would go on and get the 7000 and be done with this!

my .02
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Depends on your price range and the purpose of the outfit.

I have been very pleased with my Penn International 965 baitcasting reel. Is best for live baiting, or casting bigger lures. Has a good feel, a high-quality drag, and casts well as above. I have it mounted on a Star Inshore Graphite Composite rod, 12-20lb class.

I have caught big reds, macks, kings, AJs, and small grouper on it. I like to use 50 lb powerpro on it, and this year want to catch a nice tarpon with that outfit.

As I remember, costs about $150, but will last a lifetime.
D.C. Glover

Post by D.C. Glover »

I use an Abu-Garcia TP 5600 with 17lb. test.
I buy mine at ffo-tackle.com for about half price. They have the TP5600 and TP6500 for about $87.00. Excellant rods to go with them also. Mine took a 40, 38, and a 37 inch redfish off Shell Point last month and a 54 inch alligator gar. The gar took a live pin fish and got the leader wrapped around his snout. :sleep:
School Teacher

Post by School Teacher »

Wil, I use a 6500C and also Penn 9m's when I target big bull reds. I like the drag on the 6500c, but have had problems with the gears. Stripped out the main pawl etc. I can't say they are as good as I thought they would be.
Tight Lines and Calm Seas
Wil
Dive Boards Moderator

Post by Wil »

Well, I ended up getting the 7000. Thanks to everyone for the advice. I can't wait for it to come in so I can rig it for stripers/catfish/cobia/etc.

Wil