Whats happened to trout fishing?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Re: Whats happened to trout fishing?

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

I'm not completely against lowering the trout limit, but I believe the commercial harvesting needs to be addressed first. Also I don't know of any commercial trout operations locally I just always assumed there were some.
Last edited by Apalachee Inshore on May 24th, 2017, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dhawk

Post by Dhawk »

Personally, I find it hard to believe that recreational fishermen have contributed to the supposed decline in Trout.

Something else going on. Im not sure what it is...
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

Not a local or anything but since I have been fishing inshore, about 10 or 12 years ago, i've noticed a large increase in the amount of boats I see on the east and west flats around the lighthouse. I remember 10 years ago, on a spring day, you might only see 10 boats out there. Now there might be 20 or 30 within sight distance. Definitely not an expert, just what I have noticed.

By the way, with my fishing ability, I know I haven't caused the population decline.
MIAcanes44

Post by MIAcanes44 »

Conversations like this is what causes seasons to close. Do we really want to deal with a trout season like red snapper? I personally think the trout have been better so far this year. Maybe people just need to change their tactics. I agree with regulating commercial fisheries but, they somehow get what they want. Its already hard to justify going offshore fishing because there are too many regulations.
When you catch so many, you just stop counting.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Dhawk wrote:Generally....whats happened to trout fishing?

Seems its gotten more difficult to find/catch legal fish. The shorts, even when they are biting, seem to dominate mostly, with just a few keepers on a normal day.

We always try all the baits, grubs, shrimp, cut bait, with/without popping cork. In shallow water, deeper water, creeks, bars, low tide, high tide and between. Fall, Winter,
Spring....St Marks, Keaton, Steinhatchee, Fenholiway, Aucilla...

Still love to go and be on the water, it just seems keeper trout are more scarce these days. Still, there are an occasional day when you do well, but they are more rare
of late.
Generally, how many trout should we be catching ? 5 keepers per day ? 10 ? more ?
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

DixieReb wrote:That's what I have noticed, too. I think they are just in certain areas now and you have to hunt for them more. Like my old Daddy used to say, if you're not catching fish, then move! ;-)
This ^ :smt004
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

rockyg wrote:Where are the Trout?

More fishermen in Florida every day, with better equipment, better baits, unlimited internet to provide solid intel on where and how to fish, combined with Less undisturbed shoreline and lower water quality equals more stress on every fishery.

What phrase do you hear on here over and over and over. "got my limit" "we all got our limit" "limited out every day".

Reduce the limit on trout to near zero for 2 or 3 years and the flats would be teeming with fat gator trout......but that will never happen.

We are all fishing on borrowed time. :smt012
Double this ^ :smt004
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Apalachee Inshore wrote:Trout are too valuable to the local economy to be fished commercially. I've wondered for years how it is still legal. Before we push reduced limits, like redfish, on trout for recreational fishermen the commercial fishing needs to be ended. There is no need to sell trout in fish markets with all the other farm raised options. Trout is not salmon, it is a white mild fish that can be substituted easily.
And what gives you the right to deny comms from making a living ? Or to deny someone in the midwest seafood ?
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Dhawk wrote:Personally, I find it hard to believe that recreational fishermen have contributed to the supposed decline in Trout.

Something else going on. Im not sure what it is...
LOL, What ? Are you kidding me ? My opinion is maybe you should have some facts together before you spout off and then say "I'm not sure what it is " :roll:
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

I have noticed less trout as well.
However, I have noticed less grass in historically good areas as well.
I'm convinced it's a combination of things- like most things are.
I agree, there is almost no justification for a commercial harvest of seatrout in our area. I'm actually shocked to learn there is one.
But I will agree with rec fishermen pressure as well. I was fine and dandy with a closed February season. I never understood why it was halted. The proof of overfishing is right here in this thread. When a vast majority of the fish you catch are JUST below the "keeper" line......there's a reason for that- everything growing bigger than that ends up in a cooler.

I'm not judging those who do differently, but I rarely keep a limit, even if I catch it. Two 15-18in trout will make a fine dinner for my family of three....and that is all I need to harvest.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Apalachee Inshore wrote:I'm not completely against lowering the trout limit, but I believe the commercial harvesting needs to be addressed first. Also I don't know of any commercial trout operations locally I just always assumed there were some.
You don't know if there are commercial fishermen, and assume there are commercial trout fisherman in the area. But you feel the commercial harvest should be addressed first? That may something to find out before stating that it should be addressed. There may be there may not be. But I can assure you on any given day on the flats there are too many boats to count trying the get that 3 man limit, along with any rock bass, flounder, bluefish or redfish they can put in the cooler Maybe time to look in the mirror until we know for sure there is a commercial trout operation in the area.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

All this makes me think about something-do we really need to load a box with fish, just because they are biting good that day and we can? Some of us fish several days in a row down there and come back with limits all days. If you have 3 or 4 on a boat or have 2-3 boats out fishing, do you really need a limit every day? I say no. Might get some name-calling for that, but that's my thoughts on it. At some point, we all need to be more conservative with the fishes.
Yours in the South
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

I either fish too much or not enough, IDK, but I don't see it your way O.P.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Salty Gator wrote:
Apalachee Inshore wrote:I'm not completely against lowering the trout limit, but I believe the commercial harvesting needs to be addressed first. Also I don't know of any commercial trout operations locally I just always assumed there were some.
You don't know if there are commercial fishermen, and assume there are commercial trout fisherman in the area. But you feel the commercial harvest should be addressed first? That may something to find out before stating that it should be addressed. There may be there may not be. But I can assure you on any given day on the flats there are too many boats to count trying the get that 3 man limit, along with any rock bass, flounder, bluefish or redfish they can put in the cooler Maybe time to look in the mirror until we know for sure there is a commercial trout operation in the area.
I'm not trying to get in some big argument. I don't have a huge problem catching trout. All I'm saying is I believe trout, like redfish, should be banned from being taking and sold commercially. Especially before we lock down restrictions on recreational fishermen. Just my opinion.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Apalachee Inshore wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
I'm not trying to get in some big argument. I don't have a huge problem catching trout. All I'm saying is I believe trout, like redfish, should be banned from being taking and sold commercially. Especially before we lock down restrictions on recreational fishermen. Just my opinion.
But you admitted you didn't know if there was a commercial fishery. I don't either, but just go to the east flats this Saturday and count the boats. Then multiply that number by 15. Then tell me if the 10 trout in the southern seafood cooler comes close. Btw, I agree that trout should have game fish status ( for god sakes sea bass are game fish), but even then people may have to start not keeping every legal fish they can if they want their kids to enjoy trout flats fishing.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven