2017 CCA STAR Tournament

This is where you can Promote, Talk about or Plan Tournaments.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

2017 CCA STAR Tournament

Post by silverking »

West Marine Sponsors CCA Florida Statewide Tournament and Angler’s Rodeo (STAR)

Florida stores will serve as preferred distribution locations for the event’s official measuring devices.

WATSONVILLE, Calif., May 23, 2017 — West Marine, the world’s premier Waterlife Outfitter, is pleased to announce its sponsorship of the 3rd Annual CCA STAR Tournament in Florida. This tournament has been available to anglers in Louisiana and Texas for years, and now fishing enthusiasts in Florida have the opportunity to compete in the highly regarded event as well.

The contest runs from May 27 to Sept. 4 and features 101 days of competition. With Florida’s 1,300 miles of coastline and 1.2 million licensed saltwater anglers, CCA Florida hopes to reach thousands of new anglers every year through the tourney.

“This tournament represents the most exciting opportunity in our history to educate the public about Florida’s marine resources and how we can best preserve the future for our children,” says CCA Florida Chairman Bill Camp.

160 STAR tagged redfish were released throughout the coastal waters of Florida and catching one of the first 8 prize winning fish means participants could earn their choice of a GMC pick-up truck, Contender 22 Sport, Carolina Skiff Sport & Fish, Pathfinder 2200TRS, Sea Hunt Ultra or Maverick 17 HPX-S. There are 15 other division in the CCA Florida STAR competition with prizes that include college scholarships, fishing tackle, Power Poles, Costa sunglasses and more – nearly $500,000 worth of prizes in all.

West Marine stores in Florida will serve as the preferred distribution locations for the tournament’s official measuring devices. To see a full list of participating locations, visit https://www.westmarine.com/store-finder and select Florida.

Per the tournament’s rules, each photo entry must include the entire fish on the official measuring device for length (consistent with STAR and FWC measurement guidelines for each tournament species) however it is not the biggest fish that wins; the only exceptions are the Lionfish Division and certain species within the Conservation Division.

The official measuring device may be picked up from any distribution location at no cost. All Florida West Marine stores will have the devices, and a complete listing of distribution locations is available in the “STAR Distribution Location” section of the STAR website.

“West Marine is thrilled to be a part of this competition designed to engage seasoned and first-time anglers in conservation while rewarding them for their efforts,” says Laura Barry, senior manager for West Marine regional marketing and West Marine Pro. “It’s a great opportunity to support the CCA as well as devoted anglers in the region. Our store teams are excited to play a role in the event.”

To learn more about the tournament, visit www.CCAFLSTAR.com.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
rockyg

Re: 2017 CCA STAR Tournament

Post by rockyg »

A fishing tournament where you take a picture and release the fish.......I heard it couldn't be done. ;-)

I'm already signed up. :thumbup:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Lots of fun!
The Back Porch
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

I don't read fine print very well....please help me with the categories.

Am I understanding that redfish without a tag can only be entered in the Conservation Division? Conservation Division awards are based upon number of entries, not drawing?

I was kicking myself for not entering any of the reds my dad and I caught in SJB this weekend, but if a volume category than not a big deal. We got on some incredible redfish schools. Trout were slightly harder to locate, but we did enter trout in the Open Division each day we fished.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

SHOWBOAT wrote:I don't read fine print very well....please help me with the categories.

Am I understanding that redfish without a tag can only be entered in the Conservation Division? Conservation Division awards are based upon number of entries, not drawing?

I was kicking myself for not entering any of the reds my dad and I caught in SJB this weekend, but if a volume category than not a big deal. We got on some incredible redfish schools. Trout were slightly harder to locate, but we did enter trout in the Open Division each day we fished.
Pretty sure non tagged reds are for conservation, kayak and maybe ladies division. The conservation is tough, no drawing, most entries wins. Any species any size is what the rules say, I guess you could count pinfish. Easily enter hundreds of entries a day. I think Mr Williams said he only entered 15 or so trout and won a boat last year. Hoping to catch my second star tagged red this year ( during the tourney dates ). Ps Brian,, the schedule is starting to open up and my freezer is full of gags and red snapper, so let's go inshore fishin soon
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

If any of you signed up at the recent CCA Banquet in Tallahassee, you need to follow up with CCA. I purchased my tournament entry on their phone app. and my membership renewed at the Banquet. Neither of them were updated when I called CCA Orlando to verify.

- Steve Stinson
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Salty Gator wrote:
SHOWBOAT wrote:I don't read fine print very well....please help me with the categories.

Pretty sure non tagged reds are for conservation, kayak and maybe ladies division. The conservation is tough, no drawing, most entries wins. Any species any size is what the rules say, I guess you could count pinfish. Easily enter hundreds of entries a day. I think Mr Williams said he only entered 15 or so trout and won a boat last year. Hoping to catch my second star tagged red this year ( during the tourney dates ). Ps Brian,, the schedule is starting to open up and my freezer is full of gags and red snapper, so let's go inshore fishin soon
SG is right, though I think it was only 12 entries - luck of the draw, and the boat is SWEET. Steve, we registered the same as you last year, and the 2 processes eventually caught up and it all worked out. Contact the tournament people, they're super nice and helpful.

Even with all my experience, i still managed to screw up my first 2 entries this year, put them in fly division by mistake. The STAR phone app makes it very easy, but it's still fairly easy to mess it up, and the picture taking can be challenging when you're trying to release the fish. Yes, Conservation is based on quantity, and again, SG is right about the special divisions that can enter non-tagged reds. I think kids can as well.
LucWilliams

Post by LucWilliams »

2 tagged reds caught today. One in Jacksonville by an unregistered angler. The other, right down the road at Lanark Village. Someone on this forum probably either caught it or knows who caught it. They are going through verification process now to make sure it's legit. Lanark seems to be where many of our tagged fish for our region congregate!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

LucWilliams wrote:2 tagged reds caught today. One in Jacksonville by an unregistered angler. The other, right down the road at Lanark Village. Someone on this forum probably either caught it or knows who caught it. They are going through verification process now to make sure it's legit. Lanark seems to be where many of our tagged fish for our region congregate!
"Someone on this forum probably either caught it or knows who caught it." Or both. :wink:

Lanark is a hot spot, but I talked to the tournament director last month at the CCA Day at the Capitol and every coastal county had tagged redfish releases. So they're still more swimming around out there but you can't win if you aren't registered.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

I only see 1 tagged redfish in app leaderboard. Benjiman Gavin's is the owner.

Wish I was fishing this weekend...
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

I was all about this when I I first heard about it then realized I had to be in the guide division and only tagged redfish a client caught counted from what I understand. I'm in in case I catch one but not really all in like I wanted to be.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

SHOWBOAT wrote:I only see 1 tagged redfish in app leaderboard. Benjiman Gavin's is the owner.
Sounds like some fish hugging old curmudgeon to me. ;-)
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

rockyg wrote:
SHOWBOAT wrote:I only see 1 tagged redfish in app leaderboard. Benjiman Gavin's is the owner.
Sounds like some fish hugging old curmudgeon to me. ;-)
Congratulations Rocky. Good for you. Keeping or selling?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Congrats buddy on that lucky final cast. :wink: I volunteer to help break the prize in, after your Friday fishing partner christens it, of course.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Just received this press notice from STAR Tournament Director Leiza Fitzgerald:

Yesterday, June 1st, STAR had 2 tagged redfish re-captured.

In the morning, STAR received a phone call at 11:07 am EST from an angler who lives in Monticello. He called in tagged redfish #637 which was 19 ½ inches long. The fish was caught on the West coast in Lanark Village about a mile west of the boat ramp, close to shore. He was still on his boat, when he called and said he caught it at 11am EST. The angler dropped his PowerPole and called right away when he realized he had a tag from this year. He was still in shock and could not believe what he had. He is a current conservation member of CCA and was registered for STAR on 5/23/2017 at 12:12pm CST. The angler used a top water plug from Rapala to catch the fish which after going through the proper verifications steps, he kept for dinner. We verified the tag at the West Marine on Apalachee Parkway and have the Polygraph examination scheduled for Sunday at 3pm. STAR may have an official catch… STAR will announce the results on Monday. Should this angler successfully complete the verification process he will be deemed the first tagged redfish winner in 2017 and have his choice of a new GMC Sierra Pick-up truck or one of these boat, motor and trailer packages powered by Yamaha: Contender 22 Sport, Pathfinder 2200TRS, Maverick 17HPX, Sea Hunt 22Ultra or Carolina Skiff 21 Sport & Fish.

Later in the afternoon STAR had another angler catch a tagged redfish on the east coast in Jacksonville. Tagged redfish #704. This angler did not know what he had until someone in the boat saw the tag when the fish was already in the cooler. He was not registered for STAR nor was he a member of CCA, however he was aware of STAR and said he was going to get registered and become a member. These two fish make for a total of 8 fish caught since they were released weeks before the competition began. The STAR competition started May 27th with just over 160 tagged redfish released in the coastal waters of Florida and will end Labor Day, September 4th. Anglers can still register for their shot at $500,000 in prizes and Scholarships. http://www.ccaflstar.com

We will not release the name or photo of the potential winner until after the final verification process.