2017 CCA STAR Tournament

This is where you can Promote, Talk about or Plan Tournaments.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rockyg

Re: 2017 CCA STAR Tournament

Post by rockyg »

Apalachee Inshore wrote:rockyg I have sent you an email
And I sent you one back. :)
TomParis wrote:I went to Academy just now to buy the lure you used and of course they were sold out of that color. So I got this one, going to try it this afternoon!
Tom that one will work just fine. One tip on a topwater plug is the Red will often blow up on it and miss it completely. You have to overcome your reflex action to "set the hook" which will cause the plug to come sailing back to you and away from the fish. If the fish is hooked just apply steady pressure. If the fish missed, twitch the bait and let it set about 5 seconds, then twitch it again. Sometimes they will come back and absolutely destroy that little bait that "almost got away". :thumbup:
Bailey wrote:Congrats...now that you have a new boat coming in, what ya selling? :-D
I won't take delivery of the Pathfinder until October, so for the rest of this year I will be fishing my trusty vintage Sea-Pro SV-1900. She is a GREAT boat and will be for sale later in the year.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
TomParis
Site Sponsor

Post by TomParis »

thanks for the tip!
1976 Seacraft 20' MA
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I know Rocky is kind of overwhelmed by all this attention. But he's getting another dose when he appears tonight on the Chevy Florida Insider Report with Capt. Rick Murphy in the studio. Well deserved attaboy for the angler and good promotion for STAR and CCA Florida.

Believe it's on the Sun Sports channel. Betting Rocky gets a little tongue-tied around the co-host, the former Miss Florida. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Congrats again Rocky :thumbup:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Congratulations on the catch of a lifetime. Question for everyone else, What would you do with your prize for catching a tagged redfish? Keep or Sale ? If I were lucky enough to be that angler I am afraid I would have to sell my prize to PAY BILLS. :smt010
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Never a question, i kept mine (trout Division - 17 ft. skiff, random drawng), quite an upgrade from my leaky jonboat, only slight pain 6 months later when Uncle took his cut.

I love the boat, and the tournament, and so far, one Grandson will get help with college thanks to a lady he caught off the beach.
TomParis
Site Sponsor

Post by TomParis »

Rocky looks pretty happy in this new video posted to CCA

https://www.facebook.com/ccaflstar/vide ... 128301185/
1976 Seacraft 20' MA
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

So i am looking at the leaderboard for the tourney, it says the top three in the divisions win a prize,some of these folks are averaging fish a day though 18 days :o folks like to fish
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

No! You don't win just by having the most catches. It is a lottery, with every recorded catch equaling a ticket. But you could still win even if you only registered one catch, as the prizes come from a random drawing of all entries.

That said, I'm trying to fish every day that my wife lets me. 22 entries so far. Mostly untagged redfish. Dang!!!
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Another fun division for STAR anglers, unique to Florida is the Conservation Division. This division is designed to reward anglers that provide the most catch data on all fish caught and released while fishing the tournament, no matter what species or size. The three STAR anglers with the most eligible catch entries in this division win. Maybe I read it wrong ?
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Chris,

It confused me too. I was afraid I had missed opportunities to register reds, but then I realized untagged reds were "Conservation Division" rather than "Open Division". Conservation is a numbers play, and a guy with a full time job and sound mind (the Droze exception) has a tough time winning on numbers. Open Division entry is the equivalent of a raffle ticket.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.