Boston, MA New England fishing?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Can'tCatchAnything

Boston, MA New England fishing?

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

So I left Tallahassee for jury duty and ended up in Boston, Massachusetts. During jury duty I got a call about a job interview up in Boston and booked a flight out Tampa. Long story short I accepted an offer, and I start the 12th.

I won't be bringing the kayak with me. I'm not sure of the logistics of flying with my rods. But I do want to fish. Worst case I'll bring my reels and buy the same rods up there, but mine are luckier... so I'd rather not.

What kind of fishing is there to be done? By kayak? I may break down and buy myself a Hobie if I don't bring mine up there. Anyone with any experience? I'm going to try my best not to lose this glowing tan of mine while up there.
FishWithChris

Re: Boston, MA New England fishing?

Post by FishWithChris »

Are you back in Tallahassee, yet? or still in Boston?

Also - how many rods do you have? I have a couple Rod Tubes from recent deliveries that you can use. (just make sure to insure the hell out of them).

Are you driving up there for the move, or flying w/ a bunch of suitcases? You can always secure them to the vehicle

Shoot me a PM and we can chat. Otherwise, come to the NFGFC meeting if you're in town, tonight @ 7pm, and I"ll bring them with me if you'll be there.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Congrats on the new job, Kindo. Boston is a cool town, especially if you like the Red Sox, lobster rolls and winter. ;)

Definitely some good fishing up there for stripers, big bluefish, tautog, etc. I'm sending via email a PDF of an article I wrote for TIDE on a MA Hobie pro who does very well for trophy stripers. Pedal power is probably the way to go with those wicked tides up there.

Chris had a great idea on the rod transport. If he has one with large diameter to handle spinning guides, you should be able to pack several in together. Wrap some paper around the butt sections, tape in place and then add a piece of tape to the outside of the tube so the rods can't slide down on the tips. Make sure you insure. If you need any more tubes, I've got a couple you're welcome to.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Don't know about the fishing up there, but when I flew in and out of there recently, there were a LOT of boats around there. There are things about Boston I like. The best thing I like is a very short trip with flight out!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

I lived up there during the 90's. Fished small lakes & ponds with a 10' skiff. Did a lot of river/crick fly fishing 'cause it was easiest not to fool with a boat when I was traveling. Its different than this part of the world but filled with countless opportunities. You could fit most of New England in the State of Georgia, things are close----only a short drive, Have fun!
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Check Stripersonline.com - there is a lot of information there for New England fishing