best fishing line for saltwater

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DEADLYMNM7
Site Sponsor

best fishing line for saltwater

Post by DEADLYMNM7 »

Hello
I often fish on piers and beaches and I mainly fish Saltwater for:
Reds, Trout, Bull Black Drum and Black tip sharks.
I am also trying for Kings and Spanish Mackerel.

What type of fishing lines and lbs do you recommend?

I have a preference for braid and would like to know what brand is better.
I am also willing to try any fishing line besides braid.

I picked up a Daiwa Opus Plus A 6000 and I want to put line on it
Please let me know
Thanks
big bend gyrene

Re: best fishing line for saltwater

Post by big bend gyrene »

You've got a mixture of fish that require different ideal setups depending on when you're targeting each one.

If talking spooling a single reel, will help if you clarify which you are most targeting... guessing trout and reds, but don't want to assume that without you verifying.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big bend gyrene

And do you have multiple rod / reels? Would definitely use mix of lighter and heavier setup rigs for the smaller vs bigger fish you listed and wire with the bigger toothy critters. You'll get some good answers with a bit more clarification. :thumbup:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
DEADLYMNM7
Site Sponsor

Post by DEADLYMNM7 »

Yes sir,
I do have a mix of rods and reels.
I primarily fish for trouts, reds and whiting.

I do want something for black tips and Kings.
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

Before I got on the kayak I did a lot of pier and surf fishing.

I had a 2500 Stradic, 10lb Sufix 832, 20lb flouro leader. It's a bass/trout rod but I used it as a bait rod.

4000 Stradic, 20lb Sufix 832, also 20lb leader. Usually 1oz weight and I'm drowning a baitfish or dunking cut bait.

Penn 6500 SSV. 40lb Sufix 832. 60lb mono. I like mono for the bigger guy because mpre shock resistance. Big weight, big hook, big bait. That was my sea monster rig. That reel holds like 440 yards of 40 lb. When I respool I'll go 50 maybe and be able to put more heat on a big fish. I haven't used the big boy since I got on a plastic boat though.

A small, a medium, and a big. If you need any bigger than the 6500 I'd go 9/0 senator and a drone lol. I'm im Boston now and kayak-less. So I may get into land bound fishing again, but tactics will be more or less the same.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

15 lb. Big Game Trilene for the smaller reels, and 30 lb. clear Ande line for the bigger reels. And change the line every season, or after a brutal fight with big fish. There, that was easy.
Yours in the South
big bend gyrene

For reds and trout I use braid in the range of 15 to 20 lbs as the primary line with a fluorocarbon leader about 3' long in the 20 to 25lb range. Early on I used even lighter braids but as time has gone by I've moved to slightly heavier braids as when they become slightly worn / lose any coating they don't seem to get wind knots quite as bad or have strands get stuck between other strands on the reel. Heck, on baitcasting bass fishing gear I really like 50lbs (I love to fish really heavy lily cover) as the larger profile seems to again not have the habit of biting in through other line on the reel and getting stuck when casting (hope that makes sense).

I typically keep a separate additional light rod rigged with a lure to toss at macks, blues, bonita, etc that I see feeding on bait schools. I use a small section of light single wire leader between 6" to 12" long. If blind casting with macks in vicinity (versus throwing to fish actively feeding at the surface) the wire will lower the number of hits versus clear flouro, BUT when they're in frenzy feeding mode the wire doesn't hurt the bite much and cuts down the number of cutoffs / lures lost.

If targeting cobes and grouper, I like 65lb braid with a 3 foot section of 60 to 80lb flouro.

If actually targeting kings or sharks, I still typically use the 65lb braid but will use a wire leader between 2' and 3' long.