Cut off in the flats

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

laxman20

Cut off in the flats

Post by laxman20 »

Hi all,

Recently, I've been having issues getting cut off, above my leader in the flats at st. marks. Typically, it happens shortly after the bait hits the water and I have started my retrieve. Not hung up on anything and all of a sudden, bam the line is cut. Upon retrieval, the braid is sliced clean, no fraying like a knot being pulled out. Nobody else with lines in on my boat catches a Blue or a Spanish, which is what I think this is. Last several trips, this has happened at least once in a day of fishing. Any other theories on what this might be and how I can prevent it? Getting tired of losing all types of baits :-?

Power Pro 10lb braid, used both 20lb and 30 lb FC leader, around 2 feet in length. Fishing between 4 and 7 feet, grass bottom.

Thanks all!
Laxman20

2005 Blazer Bay 2170
2008 Zuke Df 175

"Why can't we fish 5 days and work 2?"
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Cut off in the flats

Post by Salty Gator »

Check the ceramic insert on your guides. If there is a small chip, it will cut your line. If your being cut off with a bunch of line out, then your knot ( braid to leader) may be big enough for a Spanish to see. Even more true in your using a swivel. I've also heard of some bad counterfeit power pro going around. People are having lost of break offs. So if you got a big spool for cheap, than that could be the problem. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

A blue got me like that 2 weeks ago right at the boat.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

A lot of times that is a Spanish Makerrel. They will see your leader knot and strike at it.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Blues or macks will do that. Might have to add some wire to your rig.
Yours in the South
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

DixieReb wrote:Blues or macks will do that. Might have to add some wire to your rig.
If that were the case, I'd expect the cutoff to occur on the leader, not the main line.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Since it happens right after the bait hits the water, the knot is being pulled from the surface with a bubble trail following it from the turbulence it makes, fish see bubble trial and think fleeing fish. That's my guess and I'm sticky to it. What type of knot do you use?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Are your buds using the same line (like same spool?).

Check guides, I had one doing that (on a new St Croix). Would have cost more to ship it off than just replace the tip myself.

Have you pulled the line some to see if there are weak spots? Tied and knot and then pulled it? What is your braid to flouro knot?
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
laxman20

Post by laxman20 »

leonreno wrote:Since it happens right after the bait hits the water, the knot is being pulled from the surface with a bubble trail following it from the turbulence it makes, fish see bubble trial and think fleeing fish. That's my guess and I'm sticky to it. What type of knot do you use?
Been using an Alberto Knot. Haven't had one pull out on me yet; only failure is a cut braid.
Laxman20

2005 Blazer Bay 2170
2008 Zuke Df 175

silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Process of elimination, especially if buddies are not getting cut off and using the same line/set-up. A woman's nylon hose or a microfiber cloth run around each guide will quickly diagnose if that's a problem. Any chip or crack will snag to show what needs to be replaced.

Several other good suggestions already as far as bad/defective line, knots, wire connection, etc.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
laxman20

Post by laxman20 »

Salty Gator wrote:
DixieReb wrote:Blues or macks will do that. Might have to add some wire to your rig.
If that were the case, I'd expect the cutoff to occur on the leader, not the main line.
That's what I was thinking too; plus we'll have 2 to 3 lines in the water when the cut occurs. No one hooks up to a mack or blue during or after the cut, which is wierd.
Laxman20

2005 Blazer Bay 2170
2008 Zuke Df 175

laxman20

Post by laxman20 »

onefishtwofish wrote:Are your buds using the same line (like same spool?).

Check guides, I had one doing that (on a new St Croix). Would have cost more to ship it off than just replace the tip myself.

Have you pulled the line some to see if there are weak spots? Tied and knot and then pulled it? What is your braid to flouro knot?
Yup, same spool. Been using the Alberto Knot; I re-tie it after about every other trip provided I don't get cut. I cut down the braid another 5 yards or so and then retie.
Laxman20

2005 Blazer Bay 2170
2008 Zuke Df 175

laxman20

Post by laxman20 »

leonreno wrote:Since it happens right after the bait hits the water, the knot is being pulled from the surface with a bubble trail following it from the turbulence it makes, fish see bubble trial and think fleeing fish. That's my guess and I'm sticky to it. What type of knot do you use?
I use an Alberto Knot.
Laxman20

2005 Blazer Bay 2170
2008 Zuke Df 175

leonreno

Post by leonreno »

About as small a knot you can tie, not much else you can do.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

leonreno wrote:About as small a knot you can tie, not much else you can do.
FG