Cedar Key scallops (U/W photos) and red snaps: 7/3 – 7/4

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Big Bend Brian

Cedar Key scallops (U/W photos) and red snaps: 7/3 – 7/4

Post by Big Bend Brian »

It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything……… this is a tad long with a lot of U/W photos but it tells a nice story. With 18 yr old Casey home for a short 4 day holiday break from the summer session at the Univ of Texas at Austin he wanted to scallop and do some fishing before he returned back to UT. It’s been 2 months since we’ve been to CK so I didn’t need any arm twisting……

Technically….. we didn’t scallop out of Cedar Key but instead left the Cedar Key dock aboard our Plan B Whaler heading 24 miles south to the scallop flats of Crystal River (it’s a lot easier than trailering the boat and dealing with the CR trailer ramp line & parking………)

Monday July 3rd :
At 0800 hrs the seas were flat and it was nice to be able to run at 30 knots. The plan was to find the scallops, get em cold, then run back to Cedar Key before the storms kicked up and then clean scallops off Atsena Otie Key.

Running

An easy run (Lauren & Kaitlyn)

The scallop grounds weren’t hard to find as the scallop fleet at 0915 hours was pretty large already.
With Casey in the water we looked at 3 different spots before deciding that there were enough scallops in abundance to anchor up. Viz was good around 13 feet and the tide was incoming. Water temperature was 88 ˚F.

Lauren with her first scallop ever!!

Lauren going down for a scallop

Common starfish

My wife Pat with her catch

Stone crab in it’s dark hole (used the flash)
Above it are two white banded cleaner shrimps

Kaitlyn grabbing a couple

Kaitlyn

Lauren & Casey with their catch

Casey

The scallops were abundant

At the end of our scalloping I was lucky enough to spot a nice flounder (we always keep a small weighted float in our zipper pocket while scalloping so that when we find a flounder we deploy the float, take a bearing then swim back to get the pole spear).

I was fortunate enough to even get a birthday flounder!!

An added bonus!
AN AWESOME DAY!!

The Plan B crew

Right before we left I did a quick boat count within a small 40˚ quadrant and came up with 100 boats. Applying that quadrant to the boats surrounding us there must have been between 400 – 500 boats scalloping!! I thought that was even more concentrated boaters than Sport Lobster in the Keys.

The CR scallop fleet

Running back to Cedar Key the seas were again flat and it was an easy run. Once at Atsena Otie we dropped the hook and started cleaning scallops.

Kaitlyn & Lauren cleaning scallops

Miss Pat helping too

Cold scallops make for easy cleaning

I’m pleased to say that while we scalloped there were no idiots near us and that everyone was friendly, respectful, courteous and had safety in mind. It’s not always that way.

Red Snapper Tuesday July 4th :
Leaving bright early at 0830 hrs (lol) we headed off on a quick red snapper trip. It was going to be a short trip as we wanted to get back to St. Augustine that evening to attend a good friend’s Fire Works & Pig Roast Party. The plan was to find some snaps, catch a few and immediately head back in.

Once again seas were pretty flat and we ran off 20 miles to 48-52 feet. Going to some of my old bottom numbers that were at least 8 years old it took a while to find the red snappers but once we found them they were quite willing to play almost coming to the surface to check things out.

Running offshore

No snaps yet but running to another number we passed a small tripletail that wouldn’t eat a piece of cut bait on a float so we slowly approached and scooped it up in a net.

What a beautiful fish!!

At our 7th number we finally found a number that was holding fish………….. (it’s amazing how good btm numbers change with time…..). Casey’s girlfriend Lauren had never caught a fish before but she was a fast learner and got a quick handle on our 4/0 grouper gear. She was a trooper!!

Lauren with her FIRST fish ever!!

The abundant black sea bass were even more aggressive than the red snappers so we kept some for the fish box too. In 48 feet of water you could watch the bait drop and watch the fish take up our baits!

Lauren with a nice BSB (and no hesitation to hold any fish!)
A beautiful Lake Gulf of Mexico!!

Lauren with her second snap

Casey with another nice snap

With time running out we didn’t play with the red snaps too long as we had a lot of work to do and miles to cover before we would make it for the St Augy fireworks.

Casey & Lauren putting Plan B back on the trailer

Good looking effort!

St Augy Fireworks……………………….

Hoo Yah!! It doesn’t get much better!!
Brian
Quality Time
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Cedar Key scallops (U/W photos) and red snaps: 7/3 – 7/4

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Amazing report as always. Enjoyed reading it and all the pics. Your son sure has gotten tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

Nicely done! We found the boats, but not the scallops at St Marks.
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

Great pic's as always. Looks like you had a great time.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

What are those trays y'all are using cleaning scallops? Looks like you are eating takeout.

DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Nicely done! Are the scallops in 13 ft. of water now? Kinda deep.
Yours in the South
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Nice flounder. Got a pic of your float marker. I like the idea of marking the spot and getting the spear. I never see one when I have the spear. But do when I don't.

1MoreFish

Post by 1MoreFish »

Nice! What a great holiday!
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

saw you at ck but didn't recognize you next time your going to be in ck let me know. we limited out on trout and reds sat. and Monday plus five trout over 18 and a 24 red tues morning
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Very nice report. Great detail in the pics. Enjoyable read.

It looks like you hit the weather perfect. That would be a long run back from CR to CK in a stiff SW seabreeze. I also looked longingly at the water clarity since everywhere I want to fish looks like 3 day old sweet tea. :thumbdown:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Great report! :thumbup:
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:What are those trays y'all are using cleaning scallops? Looks like you are eating takeout.

They are just disposable Chinese food take-out type containers. They stack and you can carry a bunch. Helps to keeps the boat clean.
Brian
Quality Time
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:Nice flounder. Got a pic of your float marker.
I don't have a photo but the small flexible weight is a 1 lb soft diving weight with 10 feet of lines wrapped around the weight and a fishing cork on the end. We carry them in our zippered pocket of our swimming shorts.
Heck you could also use bottom fishing weights too.
JIm Smith wrote:saw you at ck but didn't recognize you next time your going to be in ck let me know. we limited out on trout and reds sat. and Monday plus five trout over 18 and a 24 red tues morning
Would love to hook up with you but it's hard to predict when I'll be in CK (bummer to me....).
We stay at Old Fenimore Mill.
Brian
Quality Time
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

Red snapper encrusted in salt (or red snapper hatching)

I posted this on the forum recipe site but thought I’d tag this onto my report too…….
This recipe is easy to do, requires little in ingredients and has a unique table” flare” to it.

For a 3 - 4 lb red snapper:
scale fish
remove guts and gills
pat dry, put light coat of olive oil on body
insert lemon, limes, aromatics (fresh) into body cavity

Mix:
6 cups kosher salt (a 3 lb box = 7 cups)
4 egg whites
½ cup water

put ¼” layer of salt down on cookie sheet. Place fish on salt, cover with ¼’ layer of salt (leaving tail exposed for effect)

Cook at 425 degrees for 40 minutes. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
Use heavy spoon and hit to “crack” the crust. Then remove salt sections followed by using a brush to wipe away remaining salt crystals.

Before serving – with a fork remove the skin (acts as a barrier to keep the fish from being salty).
Turned out great and very moist!! Would serve for guests.

Before:
(note: these are from the GOM where there is an existing red snap season)

Prep

¼” bed of kosher salt

¼” layer of kosher salt then pop into oven at 425˚F for 40 minutes

Doneski’s

Breaking the crust

Salt crust removed (use a pastry brush too to brush off the salt on the skin)
Then with a fork remove the skin.

Now just lift the spine to get the other boneless half

Bon appétit

Brian
Quality Time
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Big Bend Brian wrote:
Hit-n-Miss wrote:What are those trays y'all are using cleaning scallops? Looks like you are eating takeout.

They are just disposable Chinese food take-out type containers. They stack and you can carry a bunch. Helps to keeps the boat clean.
Brian
. Ok cool. Guess that why it looked like you eating take out. Lol