Question about shooting guns from boats

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ted in Tallahassee

Question about shooting guns from boats

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

Here's my question--Does anyone know if it is unlawful (as in violating an actual, specific law) to do the following: Go out in your boat off St. Marks, heading southeast past the stake line (so you are outside the boundaries of the St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge but less than 9 miles out so you're in state waters not federal or international waters), and finding no boats visible at all anywhere near the direction you wish to shoot within at least an 180 degree arc (say it's on a week day), with any visible boats being essentially behind you, you commence to shoot guns from your boat in the boatless direction. Rifles, pistols, and/or shotguns. Not shooting at birds, or fish, or trash you threw in the water to shoot at, but just shooting at the water or at floating weed.

What I am NOT asking is whether it is "safe" to shoot on water generally, because of ricochets, which bullets will do off of water. Remember I said "no boats visible at all anywhere near the direction you wish to shoot within at least a 180 degree arc." Ricochets will not hit any boats or people that are not there. I am also NOT asking if anyone "think's it's a good idea" or that it is "not safe" to do this.

And I am also NOT asking what an FWC Officer or Coast Guard guy or Sheriff's deputy thinks someone "should" do or not do. Law enforcement officers are just that--they enforce laws and can fine/arrest/detain people who violate laws. So my question has to do with whether the above described activity violates an "actual, specific law." The reason I am asking this is because I have not been able to find any actual, specific laws or even rules or regulations that would make shooting as I've described above unlawful, and if one is out there, I want to know what it is.

Thanks.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Question about shooting guns from boats

Post by silverking »

Why would you want to shoot randomly from the boat? Plenty of land ranges in the area or you could probably get permission from a tract owner to plink.

As far as the legality, go directly to the source:

FWC Law Enforcement Carrabelle Field Office
850-697-3764
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

I mean we shoot shotguns during duck season. I don't know if it's legal or not but I'd feel better about my day in general if someone wasn't out there firing off rifle rounds.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

That was a good inshore fishing report. Thanks for posting :lol:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
turtlecat
Site Sponsor

Post by turtlecat »

We always carry a couple of pistols w us for the unknown. Sharks, cobia, tarpon guides... JOKE!! Anyway, never wanted to take a rifle w me for several obvious reasons. But to answer your question, I'm pretty sure none of these actions were illegal. The only law that would get you in trouble is it is illegal to discharge a firearm from a vessel while it's underway.
TurtleCat
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

The short answer is YES. You can. Legally.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Well there you have it, from Colonel Jumptrout himself, high sheriff of the flats. Honest judge, I read it on the internet so it has to be true. I'm innocent I tell ya. I never meant to perforate that scalloper's Bayliner. It was an ugly boat anyway. :lol:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

silverking wrote:Well there you have it, from Colonel Jumptrout himself, high sheriff of the flats. Honest judge, I read it on the internet so it has to be true. I'm innocent I tell ya. I never meant to perforate that scalloper's Bayliner. It was an ugly boat anyway. :lol:
How about this, I read it in the Constitution and the laws of the state of Florida and JumpTrout is right. Questioned FWC about shooting from edge of 98 and they said as long as you are off the right away, let it rip.

Just because you have the right to shoot, doesn't free you from the consequences of your shot hitting someone.

Every season, I shoot ducks on the flats and I've been known to put a bullet in the head of an uncooperative shark or two in my day.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

There are several areas of the law that this could relate to. Especially, the fact of discharging the firearm on the water out of hunting season. During this time it would be considered public waters and if in channel a right of way. Then you have lead being shot over water. Not to mention careless laws that could be considered. There are several areas of the laws that could be used at the officer and/or courts discretion. A wise man once told me if you feel like something is not right or guilty before doing something, it's probably a bad idea.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

crappielimits wrote:There are several areas of the law that this could relate to. Especially, the fact of discharging the firearm on the water out of hunting season. During this time it would be considered public waters and if in channel a right of way. Then you have lead being shot over water. Not to mention careless laws that could be considered. There are several areas of the laws that could be used at the officer and/or courts discretion. A wise man once told me if you feel like something is not right or guilty before doing something, it's probably a bad idea.
I would love to see some cites to these laws you reference.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Section 5 is specific to the question in this thread.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/790.25
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

Legal to carry but not discharge except during legal hunting season or self defense. State waters are considered public places. There are also careless or wreck less laws that discharging a firearm on open water would fall under also.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

So, these cruise ships that offer skeet shooting are violating the law?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Steve Stinson wrote:So, these cruise ships that offer skeet shooting are violating the law?
Maybe international waters?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven