Boat insurance

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

guthooked
Site Sponsor

Boat insurance

Post by guthooked »

Looking for input on boat insurance coverage. Who do you have yours insured with? Does it cover on the water protection as well as on the trailer? How about equipment theft?
Thanks for the input.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Re: Boat insurance

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Progressive. Only filed one claim in 15 years of boat ownership and they replaced a lower unit without hesitation. Also had them tow a recently purchased boat after the second tire blow-out of the maiden voyage (50 miles free towing I believe). You can choose coverage limits for rods/equipment, electronics, etc. Just moved my truck there too after State Farm increased rates. No complaints.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Second SB's recommendation. Had Charter Lakes for years when I was guiding, but Progressive had better rates and plan for the skiff. If you're a USAA member, you can get a discount. Trailering and towing is included in my policy and I added more coverage for tackle. Haven't made any claims yet, but everything I've heard is they're fast and fair. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

X 3...I have progressive and had to make a large claim. Boat came out better than before the "accident ".
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Farm Bureau for me. Messed up a lower unit and the claim process could not have been easier.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
bbb

Boat insurance

Post by bbb »

I sell insurance and Progressive is "cheaper" 8 out of 10 quotes I do. I have mine with them.

They even have a lower unit mechanical coverage on newer motors. I think its 2010 and newer.
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

Auto Owners
Paid 100% to have lower unit replaced.
Easy to work with.
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

Thanks everyone for the replies. I now have allstate and wanted to shop other options.
Squirm88

Post by Squirm88 »

I have charter lakes. Last time I comparison shopped, charter lakes was substantially cheaper than other carriers.
turtlecat
Site Sponsor

Post by turtlecat »

The cost of insurance is one thing, placing a claim is another. We've all had mishaps, but be careful when it's time to make the claim. I use State Farm. A lil more pricey than most, but they have always made any problem right very quickly! Usually less than 24hrs. W most cut rate companies u get one claim and then dropped.
TurtleCat
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

guthooked wrote:Thanks everyone for the replies. I now have allstate and wanted to shop other options.
Can I ask why you want to leave Allstate? I've had blanket coverage with Allstate for many years but I've never had to make a boat claim. (knocking on wood)
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

Not necessarily looking to leave Allstate. Every four or five years I take a look at all of my policies and re-evaluate. I have had no problem with Allstate.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I WOULD NOT INSURE MY RATTLESNAKE WITH PROGRESSISVE, IT IS OWNED AND OPERATED BY GEO. SOROS, THE GUY THAT FINANCED HILLERY CLINTONS PRESEDENTIAL RUN, THE NAACP, ACORN, AND SEVERAL OTHER COMMUNISTIC ORGANIZATIONS
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Price will range all over the place based on coverage options you select, as an example Progressive offers something along the lines of Actual Cash Value, Agreed Value or Total Replacement based on year of boat etc. Pick the wrong one or fail to understand the difference and you may get a big surprise when you file a claim.

As an example my buddy failed to increase the limit for Fishing Equipment as an option on his policy... when his $3000 of offshore gear was stolen he had a minimal amount of coverage so not much payment from boat policy and was not worth filing on his HO policy due to high deductible. He never updated the policy when he went from trout fishing to offshore fishing and the gear and locations changed.

Comparing a Replacement Cost policy from one carrier to an ACV policy from a different carrier is comparing apples to doughnuts, just not the same thing at all.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

Comparisons are extremely difficult but unless you are an attorney and have the time to read the 30 pages of fine print and legalease it all comes down to whether or not you trust the person selling you the policy. There are so many "Gotchas" in these policies.