St. Marks 7/3 Scalloping....Yeah Right

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

St. Marks 7/3 Scalloping....Yeah Right

Post by Tom Keels »

Myself, my pawinlaw and Wil hit the light house about 7 am. Seas were slick calm and we were going scallop hunting. Wil was kind enough to bring along his pole spears and spearguns so we'd have a backup plan.

We ran to a small group of rocks near the second stake in 9 feet of water and hopped overboard. I was first in the water and immediately saw a nice keeper gag. I tried to catch up to him but he ran into a crack into the rock. I messed around some of the rocks seeing the occasional short gag, porgies and rock bass. I shot 1 porgie, but he was a little short.

I had gone south and Wil went north. I was back in the boat and noticed Wil shooting. Apparently the rocks north were full of grouper and sheephead. Wil got one sheephead and released a 21.99" gag that he got a tail shot on.

Now that the sun was up we went looking for scallops around the area that I head seen some in June. Wil was better than me and got twice as many as I did on the first stop. BTW, I got one (1) scallop.

We hit 2 or 3 more places and found zip, zilch, zero, nada. So it was time to spearfish some more.

We headed over to my favorite rock that I like to chum over in 8 feet. The tide was near slack and the vis was awesome. Once again I was in the water first. We anchored a good 100 feet away from the rocks to sneak up on the fish. When I got to the rock pile the first thing I saw was 8-10 mangrove snappers all in the 3-4 pound range. I took off after them and barely missed one with the spear. I found the rock though and rolled the point over pretty good on the shaft. As I was swimming up to the rock I look down to see a keeper gag laying in a valley. I quickly reloaded but he booked it down the rock into a hole on the other end.

There was bait and fish everywhere on these rocks. I took shots at everything I could and hit quite a few fish, but the spear was dull as a pencil eraser. I shot big flounder that pulled off the spear, and for the record a pole spear with a dull tip will bounce off a 8 pound sheephead like a superball on asphalt. All in all a bust for me and for everyone else, but what a beautiful dive. I'll be back with a freeshaft and those fish better watch out.

The last place was a little deeper (10 feet) but also was covered in fish. The vis however had gone to hell with the tide, and the jellyfish were awful. I got in an speared a nice spanish only to have the flopper not open and he swam off with a quarter size hole in him. Wil shot a nice sheephead, but paid the price with a facefull of jellyfish.

We called it a day about 11:15 and were off the water at noon to beat the storms and the crowds. Nice day IN the water though. Seas never got above a ripple and vis was very good. Also added a new spot to the GPS.

No scallops though. Looks like keaton or steinhatchee if you want them. Plenty of keeper grouper shallow though.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

WTG, Tom. What a way to find new fishing spots. sounded real fun right up to the jelly fish part. Kinda surprising to here about keeper grouper and mangroves in 9 to 10 ft.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Wasn't surprised about the grouper as much as the big mangroves. I've caught a bunch of keeper grouper in 10 feet or less.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Sawbones
Site Sponsor

Post by Sawbones »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

AAAwesome report :thumbup: :thumbup:
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

Boy that was nice Tom. It is good to see a spearfishing report and especially one of on inshore adventure, maybe approachable by us with the tiny boats. And it sounds like a lot of fun was had. I just posted a question in the diving subforum, and this report of yours is a partial answer for me.

So, I am really looking forward to trying some of this, and at this rate I will do so this summer! Thanks for the report! I can't wait for more!