St. Marks 04-04-2002

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Left work early today with my boss and another co-worker to try to put them on some Spanish. I love it when a plan comes together.

On the water by 2:30 we headed SE of the bird racks and put out clark spoons to troll. I barely got my reel engaged before the drag was peeling. A nice five pounder. Over the next hour and a half we caught spanish of all sizes on clark spoons and nylures. My buddy from India who had never caught a fish before managed to catch about 10 spanish and was thrilled.

We probably caught about 30 and kept 7 of the biggest. Wind kicked up out of the SW at about 15 and got really nasty. We ran back in and had the fish cleaned and boat loaded by 6:15. Stopped to help an old man and woman load their boat at the fort. They had gone upriver and done pretty well on shellcracker.

She said "we must look like fools out here, him being 90 and me 76, trying to fish and load this boat."

I said, "maam, I hope I can do as well as you when I'm your age."
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Jere Firth

Post by Jere Firth »

Well done Tom....sounds like the spanich are hitting for you.....may I ask how deep you were fishing........down here in our area it rained and it was windy at day break so...Cindy and I went for a nice ride this morning......stopped and picked up some parts I ordered for some some boats I am working on and then we did lunch......got home in time for Cindy to make a few calls and then off to work for Cindy.......what a nice day with the wifer can't get much beter than that for me.....

Jere

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jere Firth on 2002-04-05 1:42 am ]</font>
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Thanks Jere, we were fishing in 10-15 feet of water.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

duckbill
Site Sponsor

Post by duckbill »

Hi Tom! Got me excited about those Spanish. We will be down there April 11-14. What size and color Nylure jig? Thanks for the report.

How do you reckon those older folks tie on those little shellcracker hooks...I really struggle now and I'm a lot younger.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Most of the fish were caught on #1 Silver and Gold clark spoons. 3/4 oz chartruese ny-lure jigs. Used 50# mono leader tied to a double mainline.

About the hooks, I used to watch my grandad try for 5 minutes to thread the eye. He would just keep trying until he got it.
Tom Keels
Site Founder