Carrabelle mahi mahi--have they come in yet?

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

John21:6

Carrabelle mahi mahi--have they come in yet?

Post by John21:6 »

Is anyone catching mahi mahi out of Carrabelle yet?
Srbenda

Re: Carrabelle mahi mahi--have they come in yet?

Post by Srbenda »

How far, how deep do you need to be to get into mahi?
All photos copyright @saverymill
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

I don't hear much about mahi out of carrabelle but I'd imagine you'd have to run further than it's worth.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

July August sometimes the peanuts will show. Way too early.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Do you mean Carrabelle, Kona? :wink:

Mahi is a name conjured up by seafood markets and restaurants, like orange roughy. It typically refers to the Hawaiian and South Pacific variety of game fish.

They're dorado in Central and South America and dolphin in the Gulf and Atlantic.

And EJ is spot on. Too early unless you're 150 miles to the west off the Panhandle and deeper water. Buddy caught a nice bull about 40 pounds a week ago, but they were 60 miles southwest of Destin in 2,000+ of water.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

I've caught peanut dolphin 4-5 miles off of Mexico beach in June/July/August in years past, found a close in area with some floating weeds one year and had a ball watching my kids and their friends pitching a small jig to the edge and watching the dolphin crash it time after time and just swarm all over the place, must have been a hundred of them at the time. Bow of the boat looked like a slaughter house an the girls would squeal on every hookup. Have caught bigger ones 15 - 20 miles out trolling weed lines but nothing like SK referred to size wise.

So in MB that would be somewhere between 45' - 120'.

Course MB doesn't have much infrastructure to support visitors right now but the boat ramp and canal are open and I bet the red snapper are hungry too. Saw a FWC report on their artificial reefs and looks like Michael's impact to the majority of them was neutral to maybe positive as some close in reefs were moved but also a lot of the shallower reefs were scoured and provide more bottom structure now. Didn;t seem to impact the deeper reefs from what I read.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150