6/15 Buoy 26 & south

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

StMarksAngler

6/15 Buoy 26 & south

Post by StMarksAngler »

Date should say 6/16 (Sunday), typo'd the thread title.

Left from Mashes Sands looking to run out south and find red snapper, never been down that way. Ran to the shoal near Buoy 26 to try and catch pinfish but only found 1. :o Ran over to the 26 marker and caught pilchards and cigar minnows. About halfway from 26 to the OAR/Wakulla DZ #1 coords we started losing RPMs and could only maintain about 18kts. Seems like fuel delivery issues. So we dropped down speed and put out trolling lines waiting to see what that weather system with all the water spouts was going to do, and if the engine was going to continue to act up.

We marked some really nice fish shows in about 50ft so put the spot lock on and started dropping down combinations of dead baits... squid, sardine chunks, whole sardines... nothing. Couldn't buy even a nibble. Seemed really odd. Dropped down some sabikis with squid to see if it was all just big bait schools, but couldn't get a bite there either? We were freelining the live pilchards and cigars out the back and never had them in the water more than about 60s before hooking up with amberjack. Got cutt off a number of times by big hits on those also that I assume were kings.

Really perplexed why we didn't get any attention whatsoever on those big fish clouds, especially with amberjack hanging on top them. Anyone have any ideas? Is 50ft too shallow for red snapper right now? I would have thought it would be covered up. Normally I would have jumped in and dove down to see what I could shoot but with the engine being finicky the wife wanted me to stay in the boat.

Started losing more RPMs so decided to head back to shore, ended up having to limp all the way back at 8-10kts. Looks like I'll be stuck tracing the fuel system and filters this week.
Last edited by StMarksAngler on June 17th, 2019, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: 6/15 Buoy 26 & south

Post by Salty Gator »

We got ours in 50’ on Sunday. We had to get them fired up with the chum churn, which always helps. They weren’t very aggressive. Maybe full moon fever?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
craSSh

Post by craSSh »

We caught a 4 man limit in 45ft pretty quick. All were nice 11-14#. Tried to find some grouper but only managed a bunch of shorts with the biggest being 23 1/2”. Those water spouts were pretty cool, first time seeing that many all at once
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

Guess I'm just bad at this. =/