Watch out at Dark Island boat ramp

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

relicshunter

Watch out at Dark Island boat ramp

Post by relicshunter »

Just a heads up. The dark Island boat ramp had two damaged areas a few months back a big cracked area that's out of the water a lot of the time has been patched with black top. There still remains a chunk missing just about in the middle in the water maybe 10-12 feet at low tide. It will snag on to a tire pretty good. You need to either straddle it or stay to either side a lot.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Watch out at Dark Island boat ramp

Post by Salty Gator »

Thanks for the heads up. Never heard of dark island, where is it?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Well that makes my mind up for Saturday, ill go to the hatch. Its near Keaton and nice that its relatively unknown but a little bit of a pain to get out to deeper water from.
V20theellymay

Post by V20theellymay »

I’m heading out of the hatch Saturday also. First time looking for red Snapper never fished for them before
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Salty Gator wrote:Thanks for the heads up. Never heard of dark island, where is it?
Just a little south of Keaton
doomtrpr_z71 wrote:Well that makes my mind up for Saturday, ill go to the hatch. Its near Keaton and nice that its relatively unknown but a little bit of a pain to get out to deeper water from.
How far out is it to deep water from either? I thought it was shallow for miles from there.

And, while we're on the subject, does anybody know why they call it Deadman Bay?
V20theellymay

Post by V20theellymay »

Read they call it dead man bay cause of all the natives that used to live there not sure how far to deep water buckeye reef is about 34 miles offshore I thing from mapping it on google earth hope to head there say
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I assumed it was due to all the gnarly rocks and the way some jacklegs drive their boats at WOT in a foot of water. :lol:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

ropeman wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:Thanks for the heads up. Never heard of dark island, where is it?
Just a little south of Keaton
doomtrpr_z71 wrote:Well that makes my mind up for Saturday, ill go to the hatch. Its near Keaton and nice that its relatively unknown but a little bit of a pain to get out to deeper water from.
How far out is it to deep water from either? I thought it was shallow for miles from there.

And, while we're on the subject, does anybody know why they call it Deadman Bay?
By deep water I mean 2ft plus to get on plane, I bumped a couple of rocks the first time I put in there. I think I GPS marked a safer path out with google earth earlier this year.