GPS Purchase

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

LEP-Recon

Post by LEP-Recon »

I'm currently shopping for a GPS. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Garmin WASS GPS 76 and a Garmin WAAS GPS 152. The 76 is a handheld & the 152 a fixed mount. Any input would be appreciated.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

The 152 is a mapping unit correct?
The 76 is not.
The 76 map is a mapping unit.

I like the fixed mount while on the boat because of the larger screen and buttons and its easier to use while underway.

The handheld would be great if you fish with different people in different areas.

If you get either one get the PC/Power cable so you can use it indoors with your computer.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

L/R

I just got the GPSMAP 76 Christmas 2001 and its great.Came w/ pc/power plug.I have the fixed mount when on my boat, but being hand held its great to take on your buddies boat(with his permission of course) to add way points new to you,thanks FlatsHopper. I have the Bluechart for this area and also U.S. maps and cities cds' should you need them.Wife even enjoys it while on road trips, helps jusify the cost. You know West Marine will honor any advertised specials, I went on the webb and they honored a $299.00 from some other place I had found ,accessories also were honored.Good luck

Greenbone
LEP-Recon

Post by LEP-Recon »

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Whether you choose hand-held or fixed-mount be sure you get a map series.It tells you everthing about your fishing patterns at a glance. With the Garmin Map76 you also get the tide info, very helpful.
LEP-Recon

Post by LEP-Recon »

Purchased the Garmin 162 Map GPS. Just installed it yesterday. Been playing with it with my computer & it is an incredible machine. Thanks again.