Creating space for fishfinder

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Creating space for fishfinder

Post by pcbayou »

Has anyone used a Ram mount or something similar to raise a fishfinder/chartplotter so it would fit in a tight space? I heard about the Ram from a boat dealer. I'd also like to hear other ideas. I have a width of about 9 inches on the right side of my console to work with. But the fishfinders I like all are at least 10 inches wide. If I could raise one up, so that it's even with the higher left side of the console, I might be able to squeeze one in. Any guidance? I will add a link and a photo that might explain better.

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-111B-354-TRA1U
IMG_0563.jpg
Last edited by pcbayou on December 27th, 2019, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Srbenda

Re: Creating space for fishfinder

Post by Srbenda »

RAM mounts make great product, although not cheap.
All photos copyright @saverymill
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Had a RAM mount installed by the builder for my unit. Absolutely hated it. It would work loose constantly and I finally replaced it with a custom shelf made by Metal Fabrication of Tallahassee. Base is King Starboard so if I want to change units at some point it'll be an easy switch. Added a cup holder and rod holder which are very handy.

Here's a shot of my finished product.
IMG_0097.jpg
There are some other aluminum adjustable mounts (Balzout) that have gotten good reviews. But I personally won't own a RAM mount again.

https://www.balzoutllc.com
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

Thanks, Silverking. Those are good options. Ram was just the first I heard about, but it sounds like there are many more choices.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

when I got the xpress my Simrad (9") was just plopped right in the middle of my console in its frame mount on top. I hated it.

I dropped a bit of starboard on top and then RAM Mount. Unbelievable difference. I can have it right where I want it so its two finger control while my hand stays on the wheel running at zoomie speeds; I can turn it towards the bow if we're up front fishing and I don't want to walk back around the gunnels to see the screen, and I can change the angle so that I have better visibility when on the poling platform.

One of the best purchases on my boat. SK may have had a bad unit, or maybe a bit undersized? They have a few different classes of mounts, from light to SUPER HEAVY DUTY; the heavier your unit, the beefier you want the RAM system to be.

I'll walk out and set it up and post it later. If you're in town, shoot me a PM and we can connect and you can come take a look if you'd like.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

Thanks to y'all too, FishWithChris and Srbenda. Good advice.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Glad Chris and others are happy with their installs. Mine may have been defective. But I've been on other boats with similar problems with RAM mounts. Regardless, I'm enjoying my custom combo shelf. The GPS doesn't budge. :thumbup:
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I had a similar problem when I installed my Garmin a few years back. Ended up building a square wooden frame with holes drilled for the wiring and mounted the gps on top of the "box". The bottom end mounted to the console. Spray painted the whole thing. Not fancy but it has worked for me all these years. Good luck with your search.
Yours in the South
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I use a RAM mount for my helix in a similar situation, I use the Ram mount for AG gps units, they are substantially cheaper.
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

Thank you, DixieReb and doomtrpr_z71. Lots of good ideas here.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I'm going to look in my shop in the morning, I may have a left over Ag ram mount that is angled that could fit the lip where the old mount is.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

The AG one has an angled base, I added more holes with a drill press to mine, otherwise it mounts in the center.

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I’m going to upgrade my mfu very soon. Digging around I found BalZout mounts. They are not cheap ( more than some units) but it seems very well built. I’ll be getting one for my new unit.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... Qx6BAgNEAE
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

Thanks again, all. I bought a Garmin Echomap Plus g3 64cv on sale at West Marine, and miraculously it fits. I had measured the width, including the side knobs, at 10 and 1/2 inches on the store display. But it turned out to be 10 and 3/16 inches. That extra 5/16 inch of space, plus a slight slope at the front and left side of the console, made just enough difference. It's a tight fit, but it'll work.
Attachments
02D89703-E3CB-4BF4-ABD9-31353A66DF75.jpeg
Last edited by pcbayou on February 17th, 2020, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.