The wisdom of boat ramp closures???

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: The wisdom of boat ramp closures???

Post by Salty Gator »

Taylor county closed all of their ramps, aucilla was supposed to be one of them. If we are smart, we can still fish w social distancing. But we can’t be smart, and few will ruin it for the rest of us. As far as gyms closing, that was a good move imho. That’s a hi exposure place and far less necessary than grocery stores.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Aucilla is not a Taylor Co. ramp to my knowledge. I believe it's run by the St. Marks Wildlife Refuge.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Steve Stinson wrote:Aucilla is not a Taylor Co. ramp to my knowledge. I believe it's run by the St. Marks Wildlife Refuge.
Rumors, I’m glad it wasn’t closed. I hope we can be smart and it can stay open. The open water is a great place to distance. Be safe, catch em up
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

I'm not trying to come at you GA folks but we're under a stay at home order in FL and they're checking the roads at state lines... I sure wouldn't go up to GA from FL right now and think it's a really bad idea.

It's one thing to disagree with the stay at home order and I know fishing/boating is deemed "essential" but crossing state lines to do it seems slightly outside what they intended. I can tell you if if people were flocking to your town in GA from other states you might feel different.

I do think that if you own real estate and live in another state you should be completely exempt but still would fall under the Stay At Home order in place once at your 2nd home.

This is America and all these "orders" are walking a fine line..We can and should be able to police ourselves within reason(isn't that what freedom is). I feel like as time passes there's going to be some pushback and when this is all over major fallout for politicians.
bbb

Post by bbb »

If this thing is around when deer season starts, them Florida folks will have no problem with crossing State lines to get to the deer leases.

If I buy my gas and food in my hometown and only use your ramp, I don’t see the problem.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

procraftwes wrote:I'm not trying to come at you GA folks but we're under a stay at home order in FL and they're checking the roads at state lines... I sure wouldn't go up to GA from FL right now and think it's a really bad idea.

Where are these checks occurring? I-10 at AL state lines?
All photos copyright @saverymill
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

It's hard to draw a line at the State border and say "Do Not Cross". What about folks who live a couple miles each side of the line? Fishing and hunting for the most part are pretty solitary activities, taking place normally with just two or so folks. Many times the two are from the same family. I don't see a problem with it as long as you maintain your distance from everyone else.

The large drinking parties at hunting camps, sand bars or boat ramps are a different story. I agree, those should be stopped for now. Most of those folks take their drinking more seriously than their fishing or hunting. However, shutting down management areas and boat ramps is not the answer.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Steve Stinson wrote:Duck -
I thought the same thing about the gym and bar closures. I realize these businesses expose folks to risk, but I have a problem with the govt. shutting down legally operating businesses. Is mine next? What about yours?
If we shut down obvious hot spots that spread the disease like ALL sporting events, gyms and bars ( you know, places where large crowds congregate) for a bit, then maybe our businesses won’t close at all. Obviously we can’t be smart enough to do it on our own, the govt has to be smart for us because a few dopes can’t stay out of the club or off the sandbar with 100 other boats.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Srbenda wrote:
procraftwes wrote:I'm not trying to come at you GA folks but we're under a stay at home order in FL and they're checking the roads at state lines... I sure wouldn't go up to GA from FL right now and think it's a really bad idea.

I'm honestly not sure. I know there's one at I95 too.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

procraftwes wrote:
Srbenda wrote:

Only checkpoints are on interstates. Other than ecofina, cedar key, Franklin and Taylor counties, y’all jawja boys are welcome. Wash your hands and be smart at the ramp and on the water :beer:
The closures only make the other ramps more crowded, that makes no sense. Remember that the next time your going to spend money in Franklin and Taylor county fishing as out of towners. And when you come to the counties that didn’t do it, try to put some cash back into the local economy. Bait, gas, ice, fishing /boating gear and food money keep it going for them.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

I can't see Wakulla turning anyone away and the boat ramps/marina's are open. The weekends are pretty busy but as far as I can see everyone's doing what they're supposed to. I can't see some GA fishermen having any negative effect on the ramps being open.. That's the young people partying together at the sand bar.

The hotels are closed which could be a problem depending on how far you're coming down but past that who cares.

I didn't mean to post scaring anyone away just saying I wouldn't personally cross state lines right now but only because i'd be afraid of coming back home and being hassled. If you get in from GA the road back home is wide open.

IMO Closing down states is a line too far and a huge problem that goes against everything this country is about but that's just me(apparently).
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

The obvious solution here is to tell every one from ga to stay home, and those that own places here, or are dual citizens to pick a side, and that side should be Georgia, and they have to go there now.
Additionally, all if the florida peeps that aren't currently residing on the water should immediately give up any hopes of ever seeing a body of water again.
Now what we are left with is the real problem. All of you that are around the water currently should find some where else to go away from the water and shelter in place.
After some time, possibly a few years, i will send notifications to you on this thread that it is safe to come back.
Until then, be safe my friends.
The Liver is EVIL and Must be Punished
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Fish Masterson wrote:The obvious solution here is to tell every one from ga to stay home, and those that own places here, or are dual citizens to pick a side, and that side should be Georgia, and they have to go there now.
Additionally, all if the florida peeps that aren't currently residing on the water should immediately give up any hopes of ever seeing a body of water again.
Now what we are left with is the real problem. All of you that are around the water currently should find some where else to go away from the water and shelter in place.
After some time, possibly a few years, i will send notifications to you on this thread that it is safe to come back.
Until then, be safe my friends.
You are a true American, I really appreciate your sacrifice. I will be anxiously awaiting your “all is clear” notification salute3
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Steve Stinson wrote:How much do you want to file a suit in Franklin Co.?
I'm not licensed in Florida, so the only way I can file a suit is in my own behalf.

Oh and they are letting folks with Florida tags come and go here to Valdosta and then home. I asked a lady who lives in Pineta and works here and she said they are not stopping Florida tags.

That my friends is absolutely unconstitutional.

Arg ... time to hoist the pirate flag and start the swashbuckling! :smt010
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Salty Gator wrote:
procraftwes wrote:
Srbenda wrote:

Only checkpoints are on interstates. Other than ecofina, cedar key, Franklin and Taylor counties, y’all jawja boys are welcome. Wash your hands and be smart at the ramp and on the water :beer:
The closures only make the other ramps more crowded, that makes no sense. Remember that the next time your going to spend money in Franklin and Taylor county fishing as out of towners. And when you come to the counties that didn’t do it, try to put some cash back into the local economy. Bait, gas, ice, fishing /boating gear and food money keep it going for them.
Negatory Salty, they are not just on interstate. They have put troopers on nearly every major highway leading into Florida out of Lowndes and Brooks County.

I own property and pay taxes on a house and my boat in Franklin County. Y'all pay me for taking away my right to use my house ... hmmm, then it is Un-Constitutional.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!