Outboard Diagnosis

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Red Beard

Outboard Diagnosis

Post by Red Beard »

No I work on the water and let’s just say I like my work.

Installed the filter, primed the lines, turned the water hose on twisted the key and she fired up and ran fine.

Got away with securing it on an existing bolt for now, tired of drilling holes after installing the new Bimini top and cleats. And this allows for easy changing of filter/draining any water still.

Thanks for the help and tips y’all.

Sent from inside the GrayGhost command center using Tapatalk.
kenfly

Re: Outboard Diagnosis

Post by kenfly »

Mine as done that a couple of times (01 50 merk) it was the fuel pump, pulled and rebuild back to normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Outboard still not running well, if anything it’s gotten a little worse where she doesn’t want to idle. Which was never an issue before.

FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

are you running an external tank? Original lines? these things can be so damn frustrating
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

FishWithChris wrote:are you running an external tank? Original lines? these things can be so damn frustrating
I am and your are right. Going to replace the ignition wires (only three) and put new lines on the fuel tank, (even though they look fine) ..and go from there

Don’t want to pull back up at the mechanic without trying to fix it first. I want to learn more and be able to be better at working on this outboard.

edif

Post by edif »

Try cranking it in pitch dark cowling off see if you are loosing any spark there will be a definite clicking where spark is lost.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

edif wrote:Try cranking it in pitch dark cowling off see if you are loosing any spark there will be a definite clicking where spark is lost.
The clicking sound is what got my attention to the electrical side. I visually saw where the worn boot cover was touching the cowl and causing a pulsing arc between the two causing that clicking sound.

Took some electrical tape and fixed the issue temporarily.

Replaced the old fuel line with brand new hose, and after really looking at the old hose, I saw a lot of very small black particles coming off. After looking more the old fuel hose is from 2014, and not made well.

Also replaced the second small fuel filter on the outboard.

Going to clean carb one more time and see how she does. Yesterday’s experience seemed like a dirty carb/fuel issue.

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Is your tank built in or portable? If it's a built in tank you may not have gotten all the water out of it.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Got her back to a strong idle. Going to have the mechanic go out with me to show how it’s behaving under load.

Currently the best help in the county ...my kids are washing the boat for me. They get to play in the water and mud I get a semi decent wash.

Red Beard

Outboard Diagnosis

Post by Red Beard »

Inspecting the outboard closely to see if there was anything I might be overlooking... the one fuel hose on the exit end of the fuel pump looks flat.

Really a bad angle and when I added a little down pressure to simulate the engine cowl snugging up, no doubt it has to be restricting some fuel flow pinching it more.

Could this be the culprit, making the outboard run lean at high throttle and still allowing enough fuel to keep it running at half throttle - idle?

UPDATE:

So I used what I had on hand, used PTFE tape on the threads. See how it goes.

Sent from the grey ghost command center using advanced technology.
Red Beard

Outboard Diagnosis

Post by Red Beard »

Took the skiff out this afternoon and ran her... I believe I fixed the issue. She ran like a top... or like a two stroke because I sucked up all the fun juice before dark.

Thank y’all for the input.

Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Glad you got her fixed and running right.....
Can ya save me the trouble of a search and tell me the make of the fuel/water separator with the glass bowl? Is the filter a 10 micron filter? Neither of my current filters have the inspection bowl and can't be drained using a petcock.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Red Beard

Outboard Diagnosis

Post by Red Beard »

Juan wrote:Glad you got her fixed and running right.....
Can ya save me the trouble of a search and tell me the make of the fuel/water separator with the glass bowl? Is the filter a 10 micron filter? Neither of my current filters have the inspection bowl and can't be drained using a petcock.
Order-No 7-0846
Marpac Marine Filter Kit w/ 10 Micron Filter

Came with everything you will need, even thread sealant.

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I know this is a pain in the arse - but are those hose connections each side of the brass elbow okay without clamps? The last thing you need is a small leak and gas fumes building up under your cowling. Especially with the previously mentioned cracked spark plug wires and all.....

- Steve Stinson
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Steve Stinson wrote:I know this is a pain in the arse - but are those hose connections each side of the brass elbow okay without clamps? The last thing you need is a small leak and gas fumes building up under your cowling. Especially with the previously mentioned cracked spark plug wires and all.....

- Steve Stinson
Good catch and I’m with you Steve, I didn’t have any hose clamps available. I will grab some next time I go into town.