Big reds in the surf

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dick

Post by dick »

I'll be down in a couple of weeks to try the surf on Dog Island. Any reports on the Pompano and Redfish? Any tips would be appreciated. I usually fish a Carolina rig with about an 18 inch leader and up to 2 oz lead. I've been using fresh shrimp and having pretty good success in the past, catching reds, some of them pretty big, and pompano.
Any ideas on catching spanish off the beach there?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dick on 2002-04-10 4:45 pm ]</font>
fishhawkJR

Post by fishhawkJR »

Last time i fished the surf of st george i caught spanish mackerel on spoons and cut chunks of ladyfish on the bottom.
dick

Post by dick »

Thanks, I do catch a lot of ladyfish there, might as well use them for something. They are fun on light tackle.
fishhawkJR

Post by fishhawkJR »

We usually wade fish at the tip of st george (by the state park between st george and dog island) and do pretty well.
dick

Post by dick »

That's a long walk out there but it's worth it. I fished there a few years back and caught some nice reds.