This could be you...with a PLB.

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rockyg

This could be you...with a PLB.

Post by rockyg »

This is a great lesson in the value of a Personal Locator Beacon. It could save your life, your wife, your son, your daughter, and your friends one day.

https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/lifeline/392901
“Life is fraught with opportunities to keep your mouth shut.”
― Winston S. Churchill
flatsbroke22

Re: This could be you...with a PLB.

Post by flatsbroke22 »

I ordered one last week. Been putting it off for too long.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v 200 Vmax
2011 Lowe 14' Jon Boat 15hp Mercury four stroke
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Got mine a few months ago.. now I need to quit using it like an eprib and wear it.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

I have one and keep it near at hand in the pocket of my PFD.
OD
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Juan wrote: June 7th, 2021, 3:30 pm Got mine a few months ago.. now I need to quit using it like an eprib and wear it.
I managed to slip mine into my inflatable life vest. I wear it all the time when I fish alone. Most of the PLB's come with a short tether so you can attach it to your vest. I did that and it still tucked pretty neatly inside the vest flap. The tether seems like a must-have when you are floating around in the waves trying to use the darn thing and not watch it float away. I could also bring my vest with the PLB inside when I go out fishing with a friend on another boat.
“Life is fraught with opportunities to keep your mouth shut.”
― Winston S. Churchill
bbb

Post by bbb »

As soon as I started taking offshore fishing serious I bought one. Looking back I should have bought one months earlier. No reason to hit the water without one.

I mounted an Auto Deploy Epirb on the side of my console and have a PLB sitting on top of the console. Gives you a real peace of mind when you look around and can’t see land or other boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Leoparddog

Post by Leoparddog »

After watching the video and reading the article, one thing popped up for me. They left no one on board the boat while they all went spear fishing?!? Even on a nice day, you should never leave the boat unattended when going into the water. Someone on board the boat could have started the engine, cut the tether line; let the divers know to surface by banging on the dive ladder and done what was needed to keep the boat afloat.

A PLB and waterproof VFH radio are cheap