Econfina 08/20/14

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Chalk

Econfina 08/20/14

Post by Chalk »

Me and my dad launched from the mighty Econfina river this morning at around 0630. It was good to be back on the river I had not been back on her since January when me and BigT hit it. If you don't know the road to Econfina is freshly paved and widened.

Ran out with my eyes closed, :wink: when you have ran her enough you can do that :lol: . It was slick as glass, I was thinking if Tom was there he'd say let's run on to 40 foot :lol: ....

Went to our east redfish hole...And started out the day with 3 trout and three reds in short order. Only one keeper trout and redfish, but the skunk was off :smt028 ....

Worked in and out of the grass line, we were coming up on our last point and I threw up to the grass line and wham, big trout....I play him a minute or two...The net man decides his rod is too important to lay down...You know where this is going....Net misses, three treble hooks in the outside of the net and a 20 plus trout :o and pops lifts the net :smt076 ...Another perfect hands free release...I thought I was gonna be sick, but I probably would of let her swim anyways....

By this time it is getting hot and it's only 8:30 or so... Our plan was to fish in 9-10 foot out from the double hump trees....In close the water was stained, it looked like coke....I figured the same for anything west of the river....Well it is gin clear outside the mouth of the river to half way to Aucilla and Hickory Mound and the grass is beautiful, it was almost scary, it hasn't been like that in years....

It basically got hotter and the fish came to an almost stand still...we caught a few trout in 5-6 foot clear water, but the majority of them came in the stained water to the east. We ended the day with 6 trout to 19", one redfish 24" and a spanish. Caught the reds on the "Secret Weapon" and straight jigs, trout came on shiner tails, live shiners, flukes, slap stiks and straight jigs....We both hooked into gars 30" plus, which was fun for awhile and a few poor mans tarpon....

Not great numbers, but another great day on the might Econfina with my dad...

If I were going tomorrow I would fish within two miles of the hill, if not on the hill.... :thumbup:

On a side note we saw a flyer in JRs about proposals for a bombing range at Hickory Mound, not good, I don't have any information, but the residents at Econfina have signs up protesting it....We should look into..I will see if I can gather more information

Rocket, I saw your boat at Mish Fastersons house this afternoon, sweet :beer: :thumbup:
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

You should have stopped and gave us the report. We were just heading out. We fished in front of Hickory Mound and then to the west off of long point and, in a nutshell, got skunked :cry: . We were able to boat one trout. I went in my boat last Sunday, and boated 13 Reds and two Trout, so I figured we would surely catch some fish.
It sure is a nice boat, but I'm afraid he's gonna have to name it "The Jinx" if something don't give. Both times I've fished out of her, we've not done so well. I'm going to run a series of test out of my boat on Sunday to get some more results. If I am able to boat some nice fish, then I'll know.
Does anyone know of a good priest that performs exorcists on boats. Just in case,ya know :-D
Fish Masterson
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

FM, you might not could of stood the smell, think our right guard had left :lol: ...It was hot...

As far as Rockets boat, it's a new boat, you have to pay your dues...But it was hot too....We (I :wink: ) caught three trout from 10:00 til 3:00
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Good report Chalk. Wish I was there with ya'll. Oh well, papa's got to pay the bills first. Not good news about the bombing range. Can't imagine where it could be??? Are they talking off shore? Any place near land at the mound would be game preserve wouldn't it?
See you Sunday morning.
Semper Fi
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

It's suppose to be inland :thumbdown:
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

Love to hear reports from those rivers! I need to get out there soon! Sounds like a great day, and very nice to go with Dad. :thumbup: :thumbup:
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Nice report Chalk...
I'm not familiar with that area, but from what I hear, just getting the boat to the gulf is a task in itself. Good to hear you and your Dad had a good time. I only with I could have taken my (late) Dad fishing on the TC II. That time together would have been priceless for us both.

WTG :thumbup: :thumbup:
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Thanks Chalk, I really enjoy her. One day I'll get some pics of her posted.
I don't understand why you can smell that Paper Mill so strong lately. Was down there two ot three weeks ago, and over at rock islands it was terrible. There was a bad east wind so I thought that was the reason. Yestersday evening the wind was from the south, AND we were west of the mouth and at times could still smell it!!! Can't be good whatever the reason.
As far as "the jinx" goes, I think Catfish Masterson has it!! The boat has had grouper, and trout hauled over the side, so I don't think there is a problem there. However she has not been christened with her first redfish, and that is highly important :wink: .
Glad you caught fish, I'm pretty sure we got skunked due to the heat. We didn't get there until almost 5:00p.m. and it was hot! All other conditions were great.
Highlight of the day was while we were loading the boat, some "out of towners" asked me if there were any oyter bars out there to fish around. I told them to go out the river and take a left, that there might be one, or two :-D :-D . Then I told them if they wanted to catch a redfish to run to rock island, and that was as good a place any.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

mjsigns wrote:I'm not familiar with that area, but from what I hear, just getting the boat to the gulf is a task in itself.
It's not that bad at all, once you figure it out, it's a piece of cake...The key just like anywhere else is to know the tides...If it's low tide I crawl in....

Though I found myself a little hesitant to run in certain areas yesterday...It was slick as glass and there was a lot of grass, which makes it hard to distinguish bars and hazards.

Just take your time and learn the area…It’s all about spending sometime in the area, observing and making mental notes
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Hey rocket was it two guys with no shirts on? They were up there when we came in, they looked kinda, well :roll: :wink: :lol:

They asked a my old man a thousand questions....

I asked Pops if they wanted his numbers... :smt043

We didn't smell the mill, cause there was no freak'n wind...
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Great report. I sure wish the cooler weather would shoud up!
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Must have been different guys. These guys were nice, seemed like a Grandad, Dad, Son combo that I talked to. But they were with a group. They did ask a million ?'s. Had they been some jacklegs, I would have sent them where I knew they wouldn't catch any fish!!
Wait a minute, I think that's where I was fishing yesterday. :smt043 :smt082
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

"CatFish Masterson" has a story to tell. My first outing on "the Jinx" will always be a memorable one. Me and ole Rocket headed out late in the day to stretch his new boats legs a little. I have to admit that I was even more impressed with his boat than I expected I would be. She handled the rough chop that day beautifully, and made the seemingly crazy late day ride all the way to Rock Island seem like just a short stroll, delivering us there dry as a bone and in short time.
Once on location we started chuckin lures in anticipation of that late day dinner call. The bite was less than impressive at first but we remained optimistic. Suddenly, the water came alive just up ahead of the boat with baitfish getting knocked around as some predator made his attempt at an afternoon feast. Rocket wasted no time in positioning the boat for a perfect cast, just ahead of the melee. He worked his Zara Spook perfectly into the churning waters and in know time, WHAMO!!! Fellows, if you could have seen the look of professionalism and integrity on ole Rockets face as he battled that fish to the boat, man it could have been on T.V. As I searched for the net, I got my first glimpse of the 4lb Gafftop Sailcat and started to snicker.
Long story short Rocket, when you use the term "Catfish Masterson", from now on you might want to be lookin in the mirror :smt082 :smt082 :smt082 :smt082 :smt082 :smt082
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

:smt043 :thumbup:
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

:smt043 :smt043