St. Marks 4/14 Mixed bag

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

phish-n-fool

Post by phish-n-fool »

Couldn't fish the tournament Saturday, looks like I missed another good one :cry:

Was able to make it out Sunday to test out the new lower unit. After catching bait on the grass flats, headed SE to anchor up and start a chum line. Didn't take long for the fish to show up and as GS stated in an earlier post, all of the usual suspects were there. Fished through the outgoing to the top of the high catching mackerel, bluefish, trout, rock bass, flounder, blacktip, and a sub-legal 31" cobia. One of my buddies even hooked a huge alligator gar, didn't know they would venture that far into the salt. All in all, another wonderful day on the water. Glad to finally have my boat back in the water :smile:
Surfguy

Post by Surfguy »

Phish-n-fool,
Sounds like you had a nice day. Could anyone give a rookie advice on how to create a chum line? Also, I'm not looking for your secret recipe, but what's a decent homemade chum? Thanks!
phish-n-fool

Post by phish-n-fool »

Hey Surfguy,

Good question. I'm sure there are tons of opinions from the fisherman on this board.

We used both the store bought (Killer Bee) and homemade chum yesterday. The homemade seemed to work better, but it could have just been the tide. We started with homemade during the outgoing and used store bought during the incoming. For the homemade, we ground up old baitfish/shrimp/fillet remnants mixed with menhaden oil and oatmeal.
The store bought seemed to bring tons of needlefish and pesky remora's to the back of the boat which pretty much put the kiebash on catching any more bait.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

We almost always use the killer bee chum from wally world for cobia. Although with the price of it I think I'm going to start making my own.

We occasionally get remoras in the chum slick but more often in deeper water.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

grouper sandwich

Post by grouper sandwich »

Try this out for chum.

1 Large box of plain elbo macaroni
1 large container of plain oatmeal
5 cans of jack mackerel
1/2-1 gallon of menhadden oil
Sea water for consistency

In a 5 gallon bucket (one which you plan to throw away) mix all of the above ingredients until thouroughly wet. Let sit in the bucket for at least 1/2 hour. Spoon out with a ladel. They'll come a running! Oh yeah, try not to spill any of it on you or the boat, it's nasty stuff! It can be saved over night and used the next the day. Just add a little more seawater.
duckbill
Site Sponsor

Post by duckbill »

I noticed Tom Keels said you could get the Killer Bee menhaden oil at Wal-mart. Is it the 48 oz. menhaden oil drip dispenser that Killer Bee makes? Also, does the Wal-mart in Tallahassee (nr. Capital Cir.) have it? Does anyone know a source where you can get it over the internet? Sure would appreciate any help. :smile:
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I use the prepackaged Killer Bee Chum, not straight menhaden oil.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

duckbill
Site Sponsor

Post by duckbill »

I use a pre-packaged dry chum (White Marsh Bait Co.) too but was trying to locate the 48 oz. menhaden oil drip dispenser that Killer Bee makes to use in conjunction with the dry pelleted chum I have.