GPS

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FTReelty

GPS

Post by FTReelty »

Have a Lowrance Hook 7 that is about 7 years old and about done. Really all i use it for is fishing spots and routes to get there...not technically savy. looking for something under 1,000 that is user friendly and a larger screen-getting harder to read that 7 inch screen. Would like something i could "transfer" what i have on Hook 7 over to new machine. heard good thing about Garmins? have a 17ft Key west and just fish mainly from Aucilla to St. Marks.....suggestions?
doomtrpr_z71

Re: GPS

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Exports to a sd card and your good to go
edif

Post by edif »

I have 3 boats and 7 GPS/Bottom machines one being a simrad the other 6 are garmin only reason i have a simrad is it came on my Blue water boat when i got it i am strong on Garmin.
cleanlivin

Post by cleanlivin »

I have the garmin 94 model that is touch screen and also has push button and its really user friendly
redcodefsu

Post by redcodefsu »

edif wrote: June 7th, 2023, 4:21 pm I have 3 boats and 7 GPS/Bottom machines one being a simrad the other 6 are garmin only reason i have a simrad is it came on my Blue water boat when i got it i am strong on Garmin.
What model Garmins do you have? Do the newer ones save every track? I like being able to see where I've been and my older Garmin 541S erases old tracks for new ones.
2003 Key West 1720
2004 90 hp 2-stroke Yamaha
1950's Grumman 17' Double Ender
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Look into a Lowrance Hook 9. It sounds like all you need and the 9" is wider and taller than the 7. I'm old and I can see the 9 fine. Less than $500 bucks.

Download your waypoints and routes onto an sd card, then upload them into the new machine. Get a 14 year old to help you. lol
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Rocky, I pm’d you, guess you never saw it.
I met your son on the sandbar about a month ago. Nice young man!
Your boat looks great!
FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

Went with the Garmin 94...So after much research and cussing, Ive learned that the Hook 7 does not download in the "GPX" format , which is what it needs to be to upload to Garmin. I think I have to "convert' the Lowrance file to GPX using 3rd party software on the internet, then upload to Garmin. Way over my paygrade. Will pay some one to do it if you have any suggestions! or a simple solution Im missing....
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

FTReelty wrote: July 6th, 2023, 10:12 am Went with the Garmin 94...So after much research and cussing, Ive learned that the Hook 7 does not download in the "GPX" format , which is what it needs to be to upload to Garmin. I think I have to "convert' the Lowrance file to GPX using 3rd party software on the internet, then upload to Garmin. Way over my paygrade. Will pay some one to do it if you have any suggestions! or a simple solution Im missing....
Download GPS babel, use GPSvisualizer.com or pm it to me and ill convert it.
FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

Thanks Doom...will try it tonight. Cold beers coming your way!
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

FTReelty wrote:Thanks Doom...will try it tonight. Cold beers coming your way!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk