Scalloping................................................

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Scalloping................................................

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Who's going or has gone already? Wanted to go but the weather has been all over the place this week. :-D
Dale Mims

Re: Scalloping................................................

Post by Dale Mims »

Looks like the weather predictions were wrong for this past weekend. I was planning on going but changed my mind after watching the rain percentage all week. I called down to the Sea Hag yesterday and she told me all their boats had been rented out & the weather was good with a little wind. We decided at that point we are going down this weekend no matter what the weather predictions are! I am ready for some relaxation scalloping!!!!!
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Dale Mims wrote: June 19th, 2023, 7:33 am Looks like the weather predictions were wrong for this past weekend. I was planning on going but changed my mind after watching the rain percentage all week. I called down to the Sea Hag yesterday and she told me all their boats had been rented out & the weather was good with a little wind. We decided at that point we are going down this weekend no matter what the weather predictions are! I am ready for some relaxation scalloping!!!!!
Good luck be interested to see how you do.
FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

HnM, sent you a PM. Got a question.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

I didn't realize that zone opened already!
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I think we're going down 7/21

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

FTReelty wrote: June 19th, 2023, 11:15 am HnM, sent you a PM. Got a question.
Not see a PM
satsuma

Post by satsuma »

Have been scouting once outta St Marks and saw a few about 3 weeks ago. Thinking of trying Steinhatchee this year at least once. I've been out of St Marks and also out of Horseshoe, Bayport, Homosassa and Crystal River. I'm assuming that the ramp in Steinhatchee gets crazy during scallop season like the others. Is that the case? If so, where are some backup ramps with parking that can be used? We are all about getting there early and heading in before the afternoon storms. Maybe that'll help.
AZ2FL

Post by AZ2FL »

satsuma wrote: June 20th, 2023, 9:52 am Have been scouting once outta St Marks and saw a few about 3 weeks ago. Thinking of trying Steinhatchee this year at least once. I've been out of St Marks and also out of Horseshoe, Bayport, Homosassa and Crystal River. I'm assuming that the ramp in Steinhatchee gets crazy during scallop season like the others. Is that the case? If so, where are some backup ramps with parking that can be used? We are all about getting there early and heading in before the afternoon storms. Maybe that'll help.
Horseshoe main street and park ramp can get crazy during scallop season.

Depending on the draft of your boat you could launch from Shired Island and make the run to Pepper Fish. Another option is launch out of Suwannee Town and run to Pepper Fish. Check out Gateway marina and Suwannee marina, I've launched from both, use Wadley pass.
satsuma

Post by satsuma »

AZ2FL wrote: June 20th, 2023, 10:47 am
satsuma wrote: June 20th, 2023, 9:52 am Have been scouting once outta St Marks and saw a few about 3 weeks ago. Thinking of trying Steinhatchee this year at least once. I've been out of St Marks and also out of Horseshoe, Bayport, Homosassa and Crystal River. I'm assuming that the ramp in Steinhatchee gets crazy during scallop season like the others. Is that the case? If so, where are some backup ramps with parking that can be used? We are all about getting there early and heading in before the afternoon storms. Maybe that'll help.
Horseshoe main street and park ramp can get crazy during scallop season.

Depending on the draft of your boat you could launch from Shired Island and make the run to Pepper Fish. Another option is launch out of Suwannee Town and run to Pepper Fish. Check out Gateway marina and Suwannee marina, I've launched from both, use Wadley pass.
Thanks! I'll look into those options.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Has anyone ever tried scalloping around Cedar Key? I have pulled wild clams there but never looked for a scallop. It seems like there's plenty of shallow spots with grass.
howl

Post by howl »

We're booked to go out of Rocky Creek next week. Hope the rain hasn't pushed them out too deep!

Steinhatchee was a zoo every time I ever went there.
satsuma

Post by satsuma »

ropeman wrote: June 21st, 2023, 11:48 am Has anyone ever tried scalloping around Cedar Key? I have pulled wild clams there but never looked for a scallop. It seems like there's plenty of shallow spots with grass.
I knew a guy that did well there. Visability was not good enough to see them with a mask and snorkel so he would feel around with his hands and feet for them. He was going somewhere that he could wade from shore.
Dale Mims

Post by Dale Mims »

We left out of the Sea Hag about 10:30 & returned about 3:00, I had 2 coworkers that had never been scalloping. We moved 3 times and limited out (a 5 gallon bucket full). The water was cold when you first jumped in and the water was clear. We scalloped in about 3 foot deep water, there were plenty of scallops out there most were nice sized with a few small ones we threw back to let grow. The meat inside the scallops were decent sized like last year. I am looking forward to next weekend when the limits double.
howl

Post by howl »

3' deep and clear is hitting it right!

airbnb flooded out so we rescheduled for this Wednesday. Tide and rain look bad but if you don't go then you don't go! This philosophy works out most of the time.