Carrabelle 08/22/2004

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Carrabelle 08/22/2004

Post by Tom Keels »

Got a free trip offered to me by Capt. Tom Stephens in return for some computer help I gave him. I asked if he minded taking 4 divers instead. His answer was "no problem, but I want you to look at a spot for me."

Wil, Jon, Sean and myself met Capt. Tom at Pirates Landing and proceeded to test the weight limits on the 25' contender. I don't think Capt. Tom had any idea how much gear 4 divers can bring with them.

After loading we were quickly on our way out to the Captain's "spot" he wanted us to look at in 68 feet. Wil and Sean did a quick look around dive to see what was there. Wil can tell you best since he saw it, but needless to say there wasn't a whole lot there. Sean put a big hole in a red snapper only to have it come off the spear.

Back on the boat the Capt. said he a had a close number called "caves" that might be good. When we arrived we saw that there was a nice 4-5 foot ledge. Jon, Sean and myself went down the anchor rope together, but the water was pretty bad. Green on top with about 7 foot vis all the way down. When we reached the end of the rope we swam another 5 feet to the ledge. This bottom was very impressive even in the pea soup vis we had. Lots of stair steps and undercuts that my light would not penatrate to the back of. I saw several triggers and hogs, but passed on them not knowing where my buddies were. You could just see tails of grouper as they booked the other way.

We came back to the boat after exploring for a while. Sean and Jon both had nice hogs.

Next stop was the bryson. Water clarity and color was 100 times better here. Wil and Sean dove it since they were on nitrox with shorter intervals. They both came back with AJ's, Sean got a 28 " gag and Wil a ##$%#$@% stinky ass baracuda about 5 feet long. After hearing about the fish and stuff at the bryson, Jon and I decided we wanted to do our dive on some natural bottom.

Capt. Tom stopped on a number in 60 feet that he had found just a couple of days earlier and caught fish on. After circling and watching for bottom we dropped anchor on the best looking stuff. As Jon and I got down the anchor and out about 30 feet, we just looked at each other. Nothing but sand as far as you could see. We turned around and I made a slow ascent back to the boat thinking the achor must have pulled while we were getting geared up. As I poke my head above the water I see Capt. Tom and Sean bowed up on good fish on hook and line and Wil is in the water. I get back to the boat and drop straight down. I shot a nice trigger that was chomping a bait and just for good measure give Sean's line a tug. :-D

The bottom here was not impressive. Still mostly sand with a couple of sponges here and there, and one hole about the size of a basketball. That's it. But the fish were everywhere.

After I got reloaded, I turned around to see 8-10 nice gags just watching me. Pow, 1 down. String him up. Better check my air...800 pounds...DOH, just then I see the covey of gags again. Pow, 2 down. Check air... 500 pounds. Time to go. As I start my ascent I feel something grab the back of my leg and clamp down hard. I knew I'd been shark bit. As I grab my leg, I notice one of the gags has latched on and won't let go. I can't kick with my right leg. I finally pryed his jaws off my calf and got up to the surface. 200 pounds of air left :o.

Jon and Wil came up a bit later with some nice grouper and triggers too. Capt. Tom and Sean put 3-4 keepers in the box as well.

We loaded up and headed in on flat seas. Good day all around. I'm hooked for sure now. Damn you Wil.

Thanks to Capt. Tom for the trip. It was a blast. I think he liked not having to do anything but drive the boat. He seemed very intrigued about what he was fishing over in these spots. So if any one out there wants a good picture of what they are fishing over let us know.

We ended the day with over 100 pounds of fish. Coastal Seafood in Panacea cooked up about 15 pounds of throats, back bones and triggerfish for us and it was mighty fine.

Last edited by Tom Keels on August 25th, 2004, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

TK, that is really cool! What a load of nice fish too. I always wonder what the bottom would look like.
for petes sake
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Frank Bradfield »

I guess the gag that bit your leg was on your stringer ? or was it just a gag attack for messing with them.. lol Awesome day ! Getting my ducks in a row now, will be diving with ya real soon ! frank
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

The fish that bit me was on my stringer.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Sounds like a nice trip....Wil needs to get a tan :wink: :lol:
Tom Keels wrote:So if any one out there wants a good picture of what they are fishing over let us know.
:smt043

Have you checked the Red grouper hole out yet?

Alot of divers on base here in PC, I might have to go to the dark side 8)
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Chalk wrote: Have you checked the Red grouper hole out yet?
Nope, haven't been their yet. We dove the same spot on Saturday that I took you to on the morning of "The Limit" where we anchored up. Wil was supposed to right that report up. :-?
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

Wow! That was a heck of a trip and a great report, cool photos and all, TK! Very, very impressive to this here eager beaver! I can't wait to get out there! If you need anybody to hold the other end of a two-diver stringer, with the gags far away from both, just lemme know! I am "good to go," nitrox this week! :smt026
mullet

??

Post by mullet »

WERE YA'LL diving without wetsuits?

How was the water temp?
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I had my 3/2 shorty on, but only for BC comfort. Temp was 84-86 on the bottom in most places. No one else had them on.
Last edited by Tom Keels on August 25th, 2004, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good "stuff" Tom.... only thing that would make this report absolutely complete would be a pic of the teeth marks on your leg.. :D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
mullet

Post by mullet »

thanks. think we're gonna hit it labor day weekend.
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Nice pictures and an interesting report. :thumbup:

It always fascinates me that fish will take bait, while divers are in the vicinity.
Also, why don't they disappear when they see divers ?
Surely, most things bigger than them, are their predators.
Or are most fish just stupid ? :-?
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Cranfield wrote:Nice pictures and an interesting report. :thumbup:

It always fascinates me that fish will take bait, while divers are in the vicinity.
Also, why don't they disappear when they see divers ?
Surely, most things bigger than them, are their predators.
Or are most fish just stupid ? :-?
Many fish are naturally curious, but they learn fast. They aren't sure what we are at first, and until we make an agressive move they watch, sometimes close by. I have had a large group of gags come off hard bottom 15-20' just to take a look at me as I drifted down on them. Once I arrived and made a few moves, they became a bit more wary. Once a few shots are made, most get real wary. However, red grouper and especially hogfish are quite easy to spear even after shooting in their area. We always said that poor ole hogfish turn sideways to let you spear them.

I have shot many, many fish in my lifetime, and it is much more challenging than fishing with a line. Takes more nerve, too, to get down there with them rather than being in the boat.

EJ
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

I don't have much experience diving, though I did grow up around it and spearfishing too in my real early days. But I have a a good bit of recent diving experience and I have been truly amazed at seeing the fish down there! I mean the dinner fish!

Since I don't get out far to fish, I never get to catch some of those rascals. And some of them are just hard to get for me either way: never caught a cobia [sorry db], or an amberjack, or even a sheepshead for example. But I have seen skads of 'em all diving, a lot. And grouper too, even close in! I saw legal size gag grouper at the jetties at St. Andrews State Park in PC this summer at 40 feet or so and close to shore; and no way was anybody going to get them with with a hook! And I've seen tons of those ellusive sheephead.

Man, have I wished I had a sling with me on some of those occassions, just to bring home enough for one dinner for the family!

So, there I was thinking maybe I'll stick a dumb ol' gag grouper one day; and TK reports they ATTACK! :o :D
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Good report. It's always good to spend a day with Capt. Tom.

Now, where are the under water pictures?
What was I supposed to do today?