The Mission: Catch Red Snapper & Take Underwater Photos and Videos

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

John21:6

The Mission: Catch Red Snapper & Take Underwater Photos and Videos

Post by John21:6 »

On Tuesday July 26, the mission was to catch a limit of red snapper for the three of us on the boat and to take more underwater photos and videos. I hope you all enjoy the underwater pictures.

As usual, we picked up the boat at Martin Marine and launched the boat at the Carrabelle River. With red grouper out of season, we decided to fish our known red snapper spots and not go as far offshore. Our first spot was the Helicopter hole, a spot that consistently produced good-sized red snapper two years ago, but nothing last year. When we reached the Helicopter hole, the sonar lit up with fish. Was this a red snapper tree?

We dropped baits down, live baits, frozen LYs, and squid. Those of us using bigger baits, couldn’t get a bite, but the guy using a chicken rig baited with small pieces of squid was catching lane snapper. When I reviewed the video from the underwater camera after getting home, it explained what we saw on the sonar and why we were not catching red snapper. The video showed millions of tomtates, schools of cigar minnows, and a few lane snapper here and there. Not a single red snapper or grouper could be found on the video. Here are some still images of what it looked like on the bottom at the Helicopter hole.

Tomtates

Cigar minnows

Because the mission was to catch big fish, we went out a little further to the LoserJ hole, which I wrote about not too long ago. While on that spot, we put four red snapper in the cooler along with two mangrove snapper. The biggest red snapper was 32” long. We also released several small red snapper.

Here is what it looks like on the bottom at the LoserJ hole:

When the bite died down and we felt like we were getting overheated, we decided to head back in the direction of the boat ramp, but with a stop at the Helicopter hole. A mile or so short of the Helicopter hole, we see a spike of fish on the sonar. This time, we feel pretty certain that it’s a snapper tree, not another bait pile. Once we put our baits down, it wasn’t long before we caught our last two snapper. One of these snapper hit a small piece of squid on a chicken rig with 2/0 circle hooks that was intended for lane snapper.

Here is the trophy picture of our red snapper haul:

What worked:
It worked out for us to catch bait, pinfish and sandperch, in about 60’ of water. My live well pump has gone bad. With a bad live well pump, it seems to work to catch bait offshore instead of in the flats. Offshore bait is either hardier or seems to benefit more from the high-speed pickup for the live well.

Using 50 lb. fluorocarbon leader on chicken rigs for small fish in deeper water seems to work. It might ensure you bring in the big fish that eats your little bait. They say, “elephants eat peanuts.”

SiriusXM Marine weather worked. Yesterday, there were a good number of scattered storm cells offshore. By using satellite weather, we were able to verify that storms had moved on, making it safe for us to head a little further out.

What didn’t work:
Three minute looping videos on the underwater camera don’t work so well. This trip, I set the underwater camera to take 3 minute looping videos. These videos, take up too much data and make it more difficult when you want to text them to your friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by John21:6 on July 26th, 2023, 1:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
satsuma

Re: The Mission: Catch Red Snapper & Take Underwater Photos and Videos

Post by satsuma »

Nice report! Thanks for sharing

satsuma wrote: July 26th, 2023, 2:27 pm Nice report! Thanks for sharing
Thanks for reading and for your feedback.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I've got several go pros, I really need to try this even though I don't fish in that deep of water. Awesome shots!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:I've got several go pros, I really need to try this even though I don't fish in that deep of water. Awesome shots!

I use a $40 GoPro knock-off because I would cry if I lost a GoPro on the bottom.

doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

John21:6 wrote: July 27th, 2023, 6:23 am
doomtrpr_z71 wrote:I've got several go pros, I really need to try this even though I don't fish in that deep of water. Awesome shots!

I use a $40 GoPro knock-off because I would cry if I lost a GoPro on the bottom.

The knockoff maybe worth more than the Hero3 gopros I have :-D :-D :-D
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

I’ve been debating getting SiriusXM weather. Do you feel the radar is pretty accurate? How is the forecasted weather? Happen to have any screenshots?
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Man you post some awesome informative reports. Thanks for posting :-D Reminds me of the reports Big Bend Brian used to put on here.
3-300

Post by 3-300 »

hey. really neat to see those pictures.
what did the bottom machine look like on the loser j hole.
thanks for sharing

3-300 wrote: July 28th, 2023, 8:29 am hey. really neat to see those pictures.
what did the bottom machine look like on the loser j hole.
thanks for sharing
Unfortunately, I neglected to take a picture of the sonar image over the LoserJ hole. What I can tell you is that in most cases a snapper tree will have more of a spike appearance on the sonar, and the spike of fish will be taller than 10 feet, sometimes 20 feet. Additionally, sometimes there are snapper but the sonar does not show them in the snapper tree shape.

Bait tends to have more of a blob shape, but bait schools seem to be spiked sometimes, too. One other observation from my videos is that where there is lots of bait on the bottom, there seem to be few predators, like grouper and snapper. Where there are lots of grouper and snapper, there tends to be few bait fish. So the next time you are in doubt as to whether the fish on sonar are bait or red snapper, drop a chicken rig made with two 2/0 or 1/0 hooks baited with a small piece of squid. If you catch bait right away, that's what you sonar is showing you. Put the bait in the live well and move on. Good luck and show and tell us how you do on your next outing.
illinoisfisherman
Site Sponsor

Post by illinoisfisherman »

:thumbup:
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

Wow ! Great pictures, nice catch !!