Chirp Chirp

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Re: Chirp Chirp

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

That truck picture needs to be on a t-shirt. One heck of a great pic. :-D
FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

Thats a fine Dog! I love my Lab too!
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Thanks y'all.

Drake was a fine one for sure.

I am getting very excited. November 3 I will be picking up my started pup, Reggie, and him and Belle and I will be heading off to Nebraska for some bird hunting.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Good news I'll have a report Saturday :-D
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

We could have a thread just about gundogs. :D

My experience of using pointers, has been spoilt by dogs ranging far ahead, not being too steady on the point and prematurely flushing the bird.
The other gripe, is nice steady dogs, guns approach to within 5 yards, bird flushed and shot at 10 yards. Not the fault of the dog, but the over excited gun.

The idea for the dog to sit when a bird is flushed, is to reduce/eliminate the dog running in to the shot.
If the bird is missed, or dropped dead a distance in front, you may not want the dog to go looking for it ,( especially out of control) , at the risk of flushing other birds too soon.
We call that "rioting", an event normally performed by the land owners wife's pet lab that, goes shooting once a year (she usually has the good grace to take it home after the first incident).
The bird is marked and when you get near the area it fell, a pickup can be made.
Of course, if a bird drops ahead, but appears to be winged, the dog is sent immediately.
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

I hear ya about sit on the flush. I am trying to work on that with Belle and remaining steady to flush. I've found it tougher to teach a pointy dog as me being the only person working a dog than it is to teach a flushing dog.

However, I did teach my old lab to sit when Steve's (hunting partner) setter would go on point. He learned very quickly that when B froze, she was smelling birds. She was less than impressed with Drake's hustle and trying to steal her birds. Luckily for him, there were often late stragglers left in coveys that he often got in on the action too. Plus, he was a far better retriever than B.
illinoisfisherman
Site Sponsor

Post by illinoisfisherman »

Great pictures and such fine dogs. Thank you for sharing them with us.