Louisiana advice & opinions

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Welby
Site Sponsor

Louisiana advice & opinions

Post by Welby »

Hey Everyone,
Several years ago I asked for advice for a guide for a redfish trip in Louisiana. I considered several options offered and decided on one of them. The trip was great. Since then, that guide has passed away. So I thought I would ask again for recommendations on a guide service and also a preference on what month in the year would be a good choice. I’m currently leaning toward early October. advice or thoughts on this?
doomtrpr_z71

Re: Louisiana advice & opinions

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Dudenhaffer is who I'm supposed to go with this year and in the fall as well, he's reasonable with his pricing and lodging.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Welby
Site Sponsor

Post by Welby »

Thank you, I’ll check in to that!
Welby
Site Sponsor

Post by Welby »

Come on guys!! Does anyone have any more recommendations ??
STMU

Post by STMU »

I don't have a guide recommendation, but for what it's worth I don't think you need one either. I've gone at least once a year for the past decade, never used a guide once, and most of the time just in jon boat. Always catch a lot of fish, and found a GoogleEarth recon is about all I've ever needed. If you can catch them here, you can easily catch them there. They are much dumber and bigger and you can save yourself some money.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Welby wrote: May 14th, 2024, 7:02 pm Come on guys!! Does anyone have any more recommendations ??
I haven't fished in LA since 1993, but when I did it was 140nm offshore on a 250' supply boat.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

Definitely don't need a guide! just need a GPS and you can have an absolute blast! I'm leaving out Tuesday the 21st to go over to Delacroix for the week. this will make my 13th year going. the fishery there is amazing and believe you can be just as successful as any guide over there with just knowing the basics. By all means if you want the guide experience there are a lot over in that area. Cpt Jack with Sweetwater is probably the most popular/most advertised. I know a lot of people like going to Venice but, don't overlook the Delacroix/Hopedale area. never used lived bait over there.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

This seems like a cool spot to stay!
https://www.chandeleur-islander.com/
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

ropeman wrote: May 16th, 2024, 1:34 pm This seems like a cool spot to stay!
https://www.chandeleur-islander.com/
The Chandeleur Islands are definitely on my bucket list, I had looked at doing it with these guys https://chandeleurfishingcharters.com/boats.html