Snapper & Grouper Help!!

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

JamSpinINC

Post by JamSpinINC »

Ive been fishing out of St Marks just South of marker 24 in about 40ft of water. I been using LY's and bottom fishing. Not been having much luck, can anyone help me with a feew ??'s.
1)Is it better to troll than bottom fish
2)Do we have to go out further to catch the snapper and how do i fish for them.
3)Is forty foot a good depth to fish in for grouper and snapper
4)where are all the cobia and kings everyone is talking about
Im going out Saturday on 4/20, hope i can find them. THANKS for your help!! Dean
P.S. Catch'em BIG & Leav'em small!!
Spear Bender

Post by Spear Bender »

Jam:
Alright for Cobia...right now I would just 'idle' over and around the following public numbers (can be found on the OAR chart)
*Dog Ballard
*Rotary Reef
*marker 24
*and maybe Oar2K

The reason you are not finding the grouper around Marker 24 right now is that first of all the Summer Algae Bloom ('snot' algae growing off the bottom) came early this year and since about 2 months ago grouper left to find bottom without the algae so they can eat!!
Shortly after discovering the reason for the gouper 'dissapearance' (by diving) we found that the algae stops at about 52 ft. The grouper started to show up in 55 ft and everywhere past that should be good 55-90 ft.
Secondly the water has warmed up very quickly and a LOT so the grouper have gone farther out. Right now you should start to pick up grouper at at least 55-60 ft and the majority should be found in 70-80 ft of water. (SW out of ST Marks...a LONG way)

The snapper should be mainly found (majority) out of Carrabelle where the deeper water comes quicker...I would start your snapper look at around 60 ft in Carrabelle all the way out to 80-90 ft of water!

On the King issue, I cant help you there for now, I havent looked for them recently and dont know off the top of my head where they are running..should know sometime this weekend.

Drew Williams ~Capital City Dive Charters
-Mate 'Spear Bender'
Team Surface Interval
Spear Bender

Post by Spear Bender »

I take it you are in the Tallahassee area...why dont you come by the NFGFC meeting tonight at Beef O' Bradys on Thomasville Rd (the one by Miracle 5 theaters and Aquatic Realm)

the meeting starts at 6:30 in the back conference room.....the club is a large very friendly group made of both offshore and inshore fisherman and of course us divers too (hoo-ahh!!)
-Mate 'Spear Bender'
Team Surface Interval