Talquin 9/25&26

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tin can
Site Sponsor

Talquin 9/25&26

Post by tin can »

It was windy.

We found a few fish saturday on some sand bars. Went back to them Sunday. My partner got most of the bites and won the tournament with 5 fish totaling a little under 12 pounds. I finished 6th with 2 fish. That was enough to keep me in a tie for 3rd place for the year.

I was surprised the water wasn't churned up and muddy. The water clarity was near normal for Talquin. The wind was much stronger Sunday over Saturday. We had difficulty fishing the bars in the wind. The one bar we were successful on is somewhat sheltered from a northeast wind.

The fish are on the bar ledges, 4' to 6' on top, dropping off to 10' to 12'. Cover was the key. Find the cover, and you find the fish. All of our fish were caught on a Carolins rig fished slow. The surface temp s back down in the high 70's. The bite should get better oner the next month.
What was I supposed to do today?
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Been wait'n for your report. Thanks TC. Sounds like "you found a way"....just like you generally do. Good job :thumbup:
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I expected it to be called off :o sounds like some good fishin under tough conditions :thumbup: :thumbup:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Interesting report. :thumbup: :thumbup: Good to hear you went ahead with the tournament. :thumbup:

I would like to get out there some time next year and get a bunch of those tasty speckeled perch... :-D
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Sounds like your partners always tote you :wink: :lol: ....

I almost got blown down on foot, I can't imagine fishing a bar in that wind in a boat....WTG.... :thumbup:
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Chalk, this was individual competition. I'm becoming known as the best guide in the club. Most all of my partners have done well this year.....................on my spots. :-?

We weren't in my boat. We were in a 22' Triton aith a 104 lb. thrust trolling motor. We gave it a workout.

Wevans, as tournament director, I almost called it off. But, this was the next to last tournament for the year, and near impossible to reschedule. We did shorten the day, and came in at 1300. Six hours of beating was enough. It was getting rougher by noon.

SR, if it could be done without getting anyone killed, we were going. It wasn't much fun, but we were out there.
What was I supposed to do today?