St. Marks 12-15-01

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Got another chance to go with Jim B. aboard the RunningBare on Saturday in the St. Marks Flotilla 2. Joining us was RedMann and CrabJoe.

We met at Jerry's at 6:00 and got bait along with Live Line and Sawbones. GS and Steve Stinson showed up also. After grabbing 4 boxes of bait we were off to meet Jim at Shell Island.

We struck out down the river and the fog was thick and the wind calm. We headed south and about 12 miles out the fog cleared. At about 13 it came back. Seas were less than 2 feet and were only swells.

We got to the area and put out 3 stretch 25's and in less than 30 seconds we hooked up with shorts on 2. We ran back to check the area bottom by bottom fishing and nothing was to be had. While we were stopped I spotted a few stray bonita jumping and tied a yo-zuri on my spinner and cast a few times without success. Jim was ready to run to another spot so as we started to idle off I tossed the plug out the back to clear some kinks in the line and in about 1 minute a vicious strike occured and all I could do was hold on as the fish tore well over a hundred yards of line off. Jim the was unaware of what was going on as I screamed like a little girl.

The fish was tough and refused to give up. As the guessing continued about what this fish was (king, bonita cobia?) I continued to put pressure on the fish and 10 minutes later the biggest bonita I had ever caught was in the boat. This fish was at least 10 pounds and gave me all I wanted on 10 pound test line.

We got to the next area and began to troll stretches again over fairly flat bottom when Jim announced that we just ran over some "good stuff". A quick circle and a check of the recorder showed an area of hard bottom and 2 large humps of about 5 feet of relief with fish showing well off it. It was time for bottom fishing again. We all dropped down and 4 rods bent double. CrabJoe's antique Penn 209 exploded internally on the big fish and he was out of commission for a while as he attended to that. Jim bowed up and after a couple of drag pulling runs, landed a nice 30" gag. Redmann was right behind him with a huge 28" red grouper that would easily weigh 12 pounds. My fish turned out to be one of the biggest rock bass I have ever caught, pushing 2 pounds. After some quick pictures, Redmann and Jim were back to it.

Redmann bowed up again and his leader was toasted. Then less than 1 minute later, Jim grunted and it was on and I found myself grabbing a monster gag of better than 30". While taking Jim's big fish off I pulled out a hook and 18" of leader that Redmann had just "misplaced".

Now my turn. I dropped down and was slammed but could not even begin to turn the fish on the 20 lb class spinner I was using "for fun". I grabbed Redmann's 4/0 and started again. By this time, he and Jim had both landed two more nice gags of 27" and 29". Crabjoe finally got rigged and dropped down and hauled in a 25" gag.

On the next drift over we all took turns in getting used by monsters of the deep with each of us loosing 3 battles. But we managed to put 2 more nice gags and some huge rockbass. All of this in only about 15 minutes.

The rest of the day consisted of feeding the local grunt, rockbass, short grouper, remora, skate and octopus the remainder of our Ly's. We also tried trolling a little more with just shorts and rockbass as the takers.

We struck out for the ramp at 2:00 pm with a box full of fish and smiles on our faces. A great day with a great bunch of guys.

Total Tally:

7 grouper: 6 gags 1 red
5 rockbass
2 grunts
1 bonita

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tom Keels on 2001-12-16 6:29 pm ]</font>
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Hey Tom:

What was the general area for this hotspot? And how deep?

(looks like trolling isn't catching much this year - any idea why? I'm guessing that there is still too much bait around to entice the grouper)
Brad

Post by Brad »

Hey Tom,

Sounds like a fun time! Santa is bringing me a couple of Stretch 25's. I'll be anxious to try them out...

Glad you guys caught fishes!

B
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

We were in ~30 feet just east of Marker 24. The water temperature is still too high for trolling. 65-68 is ideal.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tom Keels on 2001-12-16 10:14 pm ]</font>
RunningBare
Site Sponsor

Post by RunningBare »

Tom,
Nice report. Enjoyed having you, Jim and Joe on board. We will have to go back and get those big boys that broke us off! Jim, thanks for the "deep release" of that big gag I caught.....is that why my arms are sore today? You guys are welcome onboard any day.
RedMann
Site Sponsor

Post by RedMann »

Unfortunately, I "deep released" several on Saturday. Definitely bringing a bigger broomstick next time. :grin: Thanks again Jim for a great trip!
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I deep released some too. I don't think it was the rods I think it was the leaders. Gotta get some 100# stuff before next time.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

big bend gyrene

Re: St. Marks 12-15-01

Post by big bend gyrene »

Tom, in the spirit of Atticus just thought I would take a few secs to praise a really old yet successfuly trip out! ;-) :lol:

Joking aside, really DID enjoy reading the old report even if the original intent for finding it was the twisted humor value :D
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945