St. Marks 10-02-2004

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

St. Marks 10-02-2004

Post by Tom Keels »

Went out of St. Marks with Andre, Jay and Wil. Beautiful morning.

First stop in 52 feet. Seas 2 feet calming to zero feet. Fist stop Andre was high gun with 2 hogs and a monster gag that the spear had to be surgically removed from his head. The grunt tail was part of some live chumming that Jay had done. The gag was eating it when he was stoned. The spear is actually going through the grunt as well.

The gag went almost 13 pounds and the hog went 3.5.

Here I am getting in the water on one of my many failed attempts at finding shoot able fish.

The next stop in 42 feet was much more productive for Jay as he came back with 4 hogs and 2 nice reds.

We hit one last spot in 38 feet and had a good time finding fish. I missed the biggest red of my life and lost him out in the sand. Andre followed him and found hog city and brought back 3 more hogs. Jay who was topside got 2 nice reds on hook and line, one of which went nearly 10 pounds.

As we came back up the river we noticed something wasn't quite right with the barge, oh yeah, it couldn't climb over the island in front of it. It had run aground hard, but they managed to back it out as we helped pull a stranded boater back to his house.

Totals for the day were 9 hogs, 1 trigger, 1 gag, 4 reds, and a handfull of grunts.

Vis was better than we had expected and in the 15 to 20 foot range. There was a cool thermocline about 10 feet off the bottom but the temps were still in the high 70's on the bottom. We did notice a fine layer of sand covering everything. This seemed to have the grouper scattered. Several of my good spots showed no relief, when they used to show plenty.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Good deal. Y'all did way better than I expected. :thumbup:
What was I supposed to do today?
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

Very fine! Thanks for this report and the pix. It is awesome, to easily-impressed me, to think about this outing y'all had. One o' deeze daze...
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Nice leotards, Tom :wink: :lol:

I'll be glad when it gets to cold for you to dive and we can go fishing again.....Nice trip.... :beer: :thumbup:
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Chalk wrote:Nice leotards, Tom :wink: :lol:

I'll be glad when it gets to cold for you to dive and we can go fishing again.....Nice trip.... :beer: :thumbup:
You just need to get certified and come diving with us. You'll like wearing leotards too. :-D
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Tom Keels wrote:
You just need to get certified and come diving with us. You'll like wearing leotards too. :-D
I pass by 4 dive shops on the way to work.....See if any of your boys recommend one..... :thumbup:
BKTomblin Jr

Post by BKTomblin Jr »

Hey, sounds pretty good :thumbup: thats what weekends were made for (considering these past storms) :D
Speardivertampa

Post by Speardivertampa »

Nice job guys! Thats definately the spot on that gag :thumbup: I'm ready to spank some fish next weekend with Kamen. We are gonna try and go scout tuesday. I'll let yall know what happens.
-Chris
H & L Outfitters
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Nice shootin' Tex :thumbup: :thumbup:
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Very nice. :thumbup:
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Chalk, you would probably enjoy diving. The full wet suits kinda remind me of panty hose. :wink:
What was I supposed to do today?
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Wow...I missed this thread completely!! Great report and super pictures. Thanks guys :D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Sawbones
Site Sponsor

Post by Sawbones »

:thumbup: Can I have all those old fishing poles you used to use?
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Sawbones wrote::thumbup: Can I have all those old fishing poles you used to use?
I still use them. You got to have something to do on a surface interval.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Sea Gurl

Post by Sea Gurl »

Tom,

Seeing the pictures was almost like being there - thanks for sharing.

Sea Gurl