under the moonlight

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ibfishn

Post by ibfishn »

For the 2nd time in 3 months, we took advantage of the full moon. In February we fished the bars of Oyster Bay and came up with 9 keeper size reds with 2 being in the 27 inch range.

This full moon we hit the flats of Shell Point, friday and saturday night, fishing from 8pm to around 2am during the low, slack and incoming tide.

Friday night. Lots of shrimp on the flats. They are very easy to see at night with a spotlight. The trout were having a feast. You could hear fish hitting the top of the water all night. We caught 17 trout, 10 over 20" and the rest 16-19. No undersized trout were caught.

Saturday night. Much of the same. Shrimp everywhere and fish hitting all around. Ended up with 10 keepers, 2 over 20".

All the fish friday were caught on topwater and saturday all but 2 were caught on topwater.

Lot's of stingrays(3 feet in diameter) and a ton of sharks. Note to self: Will not be wading at night.

No other boats on the flats and no jet skis or riders to contend with. PERFECT!
Jere Firth

Post by Jere Firth »

I would like to try fishing the flats at night sometime.....I think it would be very productive...... maybe better fishing than in the day geting to hot........

Jere
ibfishn

Post by ibfishn »

Our next trip is going to be on a pitch black night to see if the fish will still feed without the moonlight.

It's great to get to the landing and be the only vehicle in the parking lot. I may never see the light of day on the water again.

I wonder if the scallops feed at night too?!
MAJMPS4

Post by MAJMPS4 »

During the moonlight hours, as a new flatsfisherman, what would you recommend as to the type of approach to use? Bumping the bottom and plugging it or what? :???:
ibfishn

Post by ibfishn »

During the summer months there is no other lure to use at night than topwater. We used chug bugs, top dogs and she dogs. We were fishing in water that averaged 3 ft. One of the reasons we fish at night is to hear the trout blast that topwater plug.

We drifted until we caught a fish and then dropped anchor and usually caught 3 or 4 more before moving again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ibfishn on 2002-05-10 6:58 pm ]</font>
MAJMPS4

Post by MAJMPS4 »

Thats great. I really enjoy bass fishing at night for the same purposes. Using a jitterbug. Planning on fiushing out of Keaton's Monday May 27 from 1000pm until 800 am Tuesday. Any recommendations?
ibfishn

Post by ibfishn »

Make sure you know the water depths under you because of the strong full moon tides. They look funny at night but buy a couple glow in the dark topwater lures and hang on.

Walk the Dog and don't jerk until you feel the tug on the other end of the rod. They have a tendency to strike several times at night before they get it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ibfishn on 2002-05-10 7:16 pm ]</font>