Chumming for Pinfish

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

grubs-n-plugs

Chumming for Pinfish

Post by grubs-n-plugs »

My buds and I will be fishing out of Econfina next week for a few days(Wednesday-Saturday). If anybody has some tips on chumming up Pin's on the flats, I would like to hear from 'ya. I've never chummed on the flats and would like some thoughts. Anybody ever used a Sabiki rig and Mehaden milk on these critters?

P.S.
We're gonna give Miss Bonny a shot at catering our dinner each night during our stay. She has been very accommodating in preparing a menu for each night, so far. Don't know about the food yet, I'll give a report after I get home.
Happy Trails & Good Fishing
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

I have found success using a frozen can of Walmart's "special kitty" cat food. Freeze the can the night before and keep it in our ice chest when you go out. When you hit your pinfish spot, open the can (pull-tab) and leave the lid half on the can. Put the can in a mesh bag and tie a string to the bag and put it down in the water. Every 3-5 minutes or so, give the bag a jerk and make a little of the food disperse. Use the Sabiki rig and you should quickly load your live-well. Only takes a single 5.5oz can if that much.

Be sure to bring the bag in the boat before you leave...I've lost a few bags that way..

MJ
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
grubs-n-plugs

Post by grubs-n-plugs »

Thanks MJ. Sounds simple, so I'll give it a try.
Happy Trails & Good Fishing
Jarhead '68

Post by Jarhead '68 »

mjsigns wrote:
Be sure to bring the bag in the boat before you leave...I've lost a few bags that way..

MJ
And here I thought I was the only one to do that. :roll:

I too use Wal-Mart cat food but I've never froze it. Seems to last quiet a while with the lid half open and never had to use more that one can to fill the bait well. I also add a rock or two, depending on the tidal flow/current, to the sack to keep it at the depth I want. :thumbup:
Jesus is coming... Look busy!
Joshjack84

Re: Chumming for Pinfish

Post by Joshjack84 »

what depth do you guys get the pinfish in?