St. Marks Reef Spanish 05-09-02

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

McRed

Post by McRed »

Went out of St. Marks around 11 A.M. with my sister and her family and decided to try St. Marks Reef. I'm still trying to learn the area so we went out and hooked on frozen sardines. Soon as we arrived around the reef the bait fish were running wild so we tossed in amongst them. Caught 5 nice Spanish Mack (one was 28") and one Bluefish. Only thing that went wrong that day was that I forgot to check the tides and idled into a rock a few hundred yards south of Black Rock. Did not know that there were that many rocks around there.
grouper sandwich

Post by grouper sandwich »

I've heard that rock that you hit referred to as Carolina Rock becuase of all of the blue foot paint that is on it. Sorry about that, hope it didn't do too much damage.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

How many times have I told you not to leave your rocks lying around GS. :lol:

Sorry to hear about that JMAC. I think Capt. Vic has that rock marked as death rock 1.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Ripple
Site Sponsor

Post by Ripple »

I was catching pinfish on that rock with my kid last year, looked down in the clear water and spotted the entire lower unit of a large Mercury. Got a rope around it and pulled it up, but the prop and everything else were too damaged to be useful. After that she hooked a shark on a bream buster - that was fun!

That rock is one helluva widow maker - I have had it in my GPS for a few years. It has a nice little hole behind it that sometimes holds fish - good scallop area too. Never heard the Carolina reference, but it works for me!
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

This rock's inside of the stake line right?
McRed

Post by McRed »

Yes, it is inside the stake line. From the looks of things I scraped down to fiberglass, but did not crack anything. I also marked it on my GPS, and I will remember to check the tides when going out. According to my GPS, after hitting the rock, low tide was below a foot. I'll look at it as a lesson learned.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: J-MAC on 2002-05-16 1:21 pm ]</font>
RedMann
Site Sponsor

Post by RedMann »

I know we're not supposed to ask for numbers around here but it sure would be nice not to find that rock the hard way. :eek:
If anyone is so inclined it would be appreciated. :grin:
Ripple
Site Sponsor

Post by Ripple »

I'll give you THAT number - it is not that important as a fishing hole and I would hate to see someone get seroiusly injured on it.

That is, if I have it - I'm not sure if I simply marked it or saved it as a waypoint - (I can not see the #'s for the markers on my GPS). Anyway, I'll check when I get home and post the # if I have it.
Ripple
Site Sponsor

Post by Ripple »

I think this is the # for the Carolina Death Rock 1: 30°04.319; 84°07.757.

I hope I don't get flamed for posting a #!!
fishhawkJR

Post by fishhawkJR »

Thank you Ripple I think thats the rock me and my dad busted a lower unit off a few years ago and we've been shy about running fast in that area since.
RedMann
Site Sponsor

Post by RedMann »

Thanks for sharing Ripple! :grin:
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

Ditto!